opinion oped

EDITORIAL: Preparing for the worst

Preparing for the worst

There have been 994 mass shootings in 1,004 days in America as of Oct. 2, and many businesses and schools — including IU — are starting to take action.

Though “in recent years IU has conducted full-scale active shooter drills” on campus, students were not usually involved and the drills served mostly to prepare emergency personnel, according to the Indiana Daily Student.

That could change, according to IU Emergency Management and Continuity Bloomington Director Debbi Fletcher.

IUEMC is currently looking into the possibility of conducting active shooter drills on a building or classroom level and “is placing emphasis on three words: run, hide and fight.”

Although the Editorial Board believes it is disturbing that the school is in a situation where these drills are necessary, we also 
realize how important it is that these drills are 
conducted.

Though the school shootings that have occurred this year are slightly under the number of school shootings in 2014 around this time of the year, there are higher death counts in 2015, according to ABC News. These drills could truly help save lives.

What else are colleges and universities supposed to do if federal, state and local governments do nothing in terms of gun control?

These drills are no more morbid than a fire or tornado drill, which people 
experience fairly frequently.

What if a fire broke out in one of the buildings on campus and no one involved had ever learned proper protocol and procedure to evacuate?

When it comes down to it, active shooter drills are a simple matter of safety.

Performing these drills might help protect people now, but it is important to remember that a societal change needs to occur in order for these mass shootings to stop, or at least occur with less frequency.

Along with preparing students on how to act in this kind of situation, we need to reemphasize the value of human life and get to the root of why these tragedies are happening in the first place.

The Editorial Board only hopes these responses to actively counter school shootings do not romanticize the attacks as some sort of dramatic, movie-like battle between the “good” and “bad” guys. In no way should anyone feel obligated to try to play the hero in a shooter situation.

We also are not advocating for students to carry concealed weapons, as this could cause safety issues of its own.

Not to mention IU is a no-carry campus, meaning it is prohibited to carry any type of firearm on campus.

The Editorial Board recognizes the school is in no way trying to normalize shootings and is only motivated to conduct these drills to keep people safe.

If someone was to open fire on campus, it would not be beneficial for everyone to be scrambling around because they had never 
prepared for the situation.

Yes, it is highly uncomfortable to think about the possibility of something so horrific happening on campus. Yes, many people would prefer to believe that it is impossible that it could happen at IU.

But the truth of the matter is none of the schools these shootings have occurred at in the past had any idea that a tragedy so sinister could occur right at home.

A few minutes of discomfort are miniscule if it could possibly save your life.