baseball

The Little League World Series represents more than baseball

The 68th annual Little League World Series concluded Sunday with Japan beating Pennsylvania in the championship by a final score of 
18-11.

The Little League World Series, originally known as the National Little League Tournament, was first held in 1947, when Williamsport, Pennsylvania, defeated Lock Haven, Pennsylvania, 16-7. The current iteration takes place every August in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania.

The tournament was originally played by four teams within the United States. The tournament was expanded to 16 teams, with eight teams coming from the U.S. and eight teams from other 
countries.

The expansion of the league has been nothing short of amazing. It allows more people from across the world to gather to watch little kids play a game. It sounds silly, but 499,964 people came out to watch these kids play this year, setting a new record.

The event has become so popular that, since 2006, ESPN broadcasts the games on 
national television.

It’s hard to comprehend that some of these players are only 11 to 13 years of age. The way they get movement on their pitches and hit the ball farther than 250 feet shows how these kids are the best in the world.

Of course every team wants to win, but the Little League World Series shows that, win or lose, the teams are out there to have fun and represent their home as they play the game they love.

This year, a player from Chinese Taipei hit a batter from Uganda. As the 
Ugandan player reached first base, the Chinese player bowed to him as a sign of respect. Later that inning, after a collision between the Ugandan player and a Chinese player at second base, the Ugandan player walked with the Chinese player with his arm around him, making sure he was okay.

It’s these types of moments that make the Little League World Series worth watching.

The best of the tournament, however, was the championship game between Tokyo, representing Japan, and the hometown state of 
Pennsylvania.

In a game that saw a record 29 combined runs and Japan overcoming an eight-run deficit to win the game, another record, the last out captured the World Series spotlight.

With the entire state rooting for its hometown team, it was hard to spot the Japan fans in the crowd. After an exhilarating first inning that gave Pennsylvania the early 10-2 lead, the place was electrified.

However, Japan kept its composure and went on to win the game, 18-11.

After the last out was recorded, the entire stadium that was rooting for the Pennsylvania team gave the Japanese players a standing ovation.

Hearing the whistles and cheers from the crowd symbolizes what the Little League World Series is all about.

It’s about sportsmanship. It’s about forgetting the hatred, the pain and the suffering countries may face on a regular basis and coming together for two weeks to play a game.

These kids, who have no idea what the real world is like yet, showing great compassion, respect and class toward one another, bring hope not only to their families and friends, but to the nations they represent.

Some see the Little League World Series as a joke, but the kids aren’t just playing baseball. They are playing proudly for their country, which is something a scoreboard at the end of the game can’t measure in wins and losses.