sports women's soccer

Hoosiers head to Baton Rouge for tournament

Freshman forward Maya Piper works through the Virginia Tech defense on August 21 at Bill Armstrong stadium. Virginia Tech defeated IU 1-2.

The IU women’s soccer team travels to Louisiana this weekend.

After two wins in the Boilermaker Challenge Cup last weekend, IU (2-1-1) looks to keep its streak going at the Stomp in the Swamp tournament against Middle Tennessee State and LSU.

The Hoosiers play Middle Tennessee State at 6 p.m. Friday in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Middle Tennessee State is coming off a 1-0 home victory against Jacksonville State University.

IU has had significant contributions from its freshman class already, including the game-winning goal from freshman forward Cassidy Blacha. However, IU Coach Amy Berbary is still looking for more from the 
impressive freshman class.

“I mean, Cassidy scored a great goal,” Berbary said. “She’s been knocking on the door — but are they doing everything that we’ve wanted? They’re freshmen. They’re improving everyday, which is encouraging.”

Berbary said she was also aware of where the team struggled in the opening weeks of the season.

“We’re still lacking in the final third and, obviously, with goals. We got away with two wins this week, and we got it done,” Berbary said. “But we still need to create better chances for ourselves and continue to improve at training on our finishing.”

IU then faces LSU, the tournament host, at 2 p.m. Sunday. LSU (3-0-1) is coming off two consecutive home wins last weekend against Western Kentucky and Minnesota.

“I think it’s good knowing that we have the potential to win and that we have to keep our focus throughout the week and focus one game at a time and not look too far ahead of ourselves,” 
Blacha said.

The freshmen are developing chemistry with all of their new teammates. All of the freshmen are finding their niches on the 
team, too.

“I think that the upperclassmen and, really, all the teammates have been so welcoming to the freshmen,” IU freshman forward Maya Piper said. “And there really is a family feeling with the group. Everyone’s willing to help each other on and off the field. It has been really united.”

The Hoosiers will look to continue to develop their freshmen this weekend in Baton Rouge.

“I think they’re doing a really good job,” Berbary said. “They’ve come into preseason prepared 
fitness-wise; they’re learning quickly. They’ve played a couple different varieties of positions, but I think they’re pretty versatile players.”

The Stomp in the Swamp-LSU Tournament will be the Hoosiers’ final tournament before they begin the remainder of their regular season in South Bend against Notre Dame and their Big Ten season at home 
versus Illinois.