sports women's soccer

Freshmen forwards find place on team

Freshman(13) forward Maya Piper plays against Virginia Tech at Bill Armstrong stadium on Sunday. Virginia Tech defeated IU 1-2.

IU Coach Amy Berbary knew what she wanted from her latest recruiting class — goals.

That’s why Berbary, in her third year at the helm of the women’s soccer program, brought in four freshman forwards. After a pair of season-ending injuries to sophomore attacking midfielder Nickie Zuckerman and sophomore forward Mykayla Brown in recent weeks, IU will be counting on the forwards, and their motto of “Un1ted”, more than ever.

Berbary said the team adopted the motto in February after the conclusion of a season that entailed nine shutouts. Berbary said the catchphrase represents the excitement and encouragement the entire team has, from the upperclassmen to the true freshmen.

“It’s been unbelievable,” Berbary said of the team’s leadership. “I think our older group of players have done a tremendous job at allowing them (the freshmen) and inviting them in. They know that we need those younger players in order to be successful. It couldn’t have been a better catchphrase with what we’ve been through so far.”

In last weekend’s sweep of Baylor University and University of Missouri, freshman forward duo Maya Piper and Cassidy Blacha showed glimpses of what is to come with not only this recruiting class, but the offense as a whole.

“I think they’re doing a really good job,” Berbary said. “They came into preseason prepared, fitness wise. Cassidy we look at as an attacking player, whether it’s up top or in the midfield. We’re looking at Maya as a forward, she’s very good with her back to the goal, can strike a ball and is 
pretty quick side-to-side.”

Piper has started up top in each of the team’s four games, while Blacha scored the game-winning overtime goal Sunday against 
Missouri.

“Cassidy scored a great goal. She’s been knocking on the door,” Berbary said. ”Are they doing everything that we’ve wanted? They’re freshmen, they’re improving every day, which is encouraging. We’re still lacking in the final third and with goals. We got away with two wins this weekend, but we still need to create better chances for ourselves.”

The theme of playing “united” has been evident in how the team has practiced and played thus far. Both Piper and Blacha, among others, have expressed how smooth the transition has been to playing Big Ten soccer thanks to their teammates.

“I think the upperclassmen have been so welcoming to the freshmen,” Piper said. “There really is a family feeling with the group — everyone is willing to help each other on and off the field. It really has been united.”

Blacha, meanwhile, graduated from Avon High School in Avon, Indiana, a semester early in order to become familiar with her new home. The early move to Bloomington helped her adjust both academically and athletically.

“I think coming in early really helped me out,” Blacha said. “It’s a great group of people, and we have a lot of older players that help the younger players out. I just wanted to get acquainted to the school, and I thought being here early would only help.”

Both Piper and Blacha are well aware of the offensive struggles the team encountered last season but, according to the attackers, they’re up to the challenge.

“Last season, I think the team struggled a little bit offensively,” Piper said. “She’s (Berbary) asked us to contribute as much as we can. It’s a lot of pressure, but I have my team behind me and they’ll make sure that I know what I’m doing. It can definitely be nerve-wracking at times, but it’s really exciting that I have the opportunity to get 
playing time.”

With their first two wins out of the way, the Hoosiers will turn to this weekend’s LSU Tournament with a sense of renewed confidence. IU will look to build off two shutout wins at the Purdue Tournament a week ago.

“I think it’s good knowing that we have the potential to win,” Blacha said. “We just have to keep our focus throughout the week and take things one game at a time. It was really exciting to know that all of our hard work in practice has paid off. It’s just good being surrounded by people that want you to do well.”