Latham out, Williams moves to defense among other roster updates

spIUvsPennSt

IU football training camp began Thursday and shoulder pads were worn Saturday. With practices beginning, injury news and roster changes have been coming in from IU Coach Kevin Wilson.

For starters, junior defensive lineman Darius Latham had his knee scoped and will be limited for 2-3 weeks. Wilson raved about the summer Latham has had and expects a major season for him.

Wilson also said that the academic status of transfer wide receiver Camion Patrick is still up in the air. He expects the final decision to be made in the next seven to 10 days.

Wilson spoke Thursday about the fact that many players may be trying out different positions to find out where they fit best. Freshman Devonte Williams, who was recruited as a running back, worked out at cornerback to start off camp. 

“That running back you’ve been talking about being an impact guy, well he is, but he might be on the other side,” Wilson said. 

The coaching staff has been happy with how Ricky Brookins and Alex Rodriguez have looked at running back, which made the move for Williams easier. Wilson said that Williams could provide some physicality since he is used to being hit often as a running back. 

In more injury news, sophomore cornerback Donovan Clark's back is still a concern for the coaching staff. Clark is in what Wilson called a "full medical status" right now and is not participating in any drills or team meetings. Wilson has mentioned twice now the possibility of Clark missing the whole season.