Spurs hit the jackpot in free agency

This NBA free agency has been one of the most exciting I have witnessed in a long time, and the San Antonio Spurs managed to come out on top.

LaMarcus Aldridge was the most sought-after player in free agency this offseason. He had the option to be a part of just about any team with salary cap space. Many believed Aldridge would be seen in a Lakers uniform, which is where I figured he would go.

Reports said his visit to Los Angeles didn’t really go well, then you look up, and he’s signing with the San Antonio Spurs. The Spurs have not been without a dominant big man since 1990, when David Robinson was drafted. Before Robinson was on his way out, Tim Duncan was drafted in 1997.

Now that Duncan will be leaving soon, Aldridge has taken the throne for the Spurs.

Just as soon as I thought the Spurs were not going to be dominating the Western Conference anymore, they prove me wrong by cashing out big in free agency. Aldridge will be a perfect fit for the Spurs, especially while Duncan is still there, and we’ve all been able to witness Kawhi Leonard grow up in the league and become the player he is today. With Leonard and Aldridge still on the roster, even after “The Big 3” leaves, the Spurs will still be Finals contenders.

Not only did the Spurs sign Aldridge, but they also found a way to get David West to leave $12 million from the Pacers, turn down higher offers from other teams and sign with them for only $1.5 million. When your franchise is a winning machine like the Spurs have been for many years, players will take pay cuts in order to win a ring. The Spurs signed two players, and just like that they are a powerhouse team all over again.

I thought the Spurs were done, but with the masterminds running this franchise, who knows when the Spurs will fall off. I predicted next year would be the year they fall, but, as you can see, I was not expecting them to do so well in free agency.

Although the Lakers didn’t get Aldridge, they did sign this season’s Sixth Man of the Year in Lou Williams. We can’t forget the Thunder will be back as contenders either. This will make for an exciting playoffs season for the Western Conference next year.

However, with Gregg Popovich coaching the roster that has just been given to him, the Spurs are still the favorites to come out of the Western Conference next year, in my book.