McRobbie attends luncheon for Brazilian President

Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff and United States Vice-President Joe Biden toast during a United States State Department luncheon on Tuesday.

From IDS Reports

IU President Michael McRobbie attended a United States State Department luncheon June 30 for Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff in Washington D.C., an IU press release said. She is the first woman to lead the South American nation of more than 200 million.

McRobbie was the guest of U.S. Vice President Joseph Biden, according to the release. Biden was last involved with IU in 2013, when he participated via video during the inauguration of the IU School of Global and International Studies.

Rousseff visited Washington D.C. to discuss climate change and the environment with the Obama administration, according to the release. She also developed a comprehensive agenda to advance cooperation on several issues, including education, science and technology.

IU has official partnerships with several Brazilian universities, including the University of San Paulo and the University of Campinas, according to the release. IU also has a formal relationship exchanging faculty members with the Brazilian Academy of Letters.

McRobbie explored academic partnerships, study abroad opportunities for students and faculty research opportunities when he travelled to Brazil in November 2012. According to the release, he inaugurated IU’s Brazil chapter of the IU Alumni Association.

About 115 students from Brazil were enrolled at IU in 2014-15. Seventy-five of those undergraduates were involved in the Science Without Borders program. Brazil has demonstrated a significant growth in recent years, the mobility program’s website said.

Three dozen visiting scholars from Brazil joined those students at IU-Bloomington and IU-Purdue University Indianapolis, according to the release. Currently, IU has more than 400 living alumni from Brazil.

IU’s Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies was founded in 1963. It employs many nationally prominent scholars representing 30 disciplines, according to the release.

The Brazilian Studies Program has strong roots at IU, despite it’s recent establishment, and continues to foster interdisciplinary research to bridge the social sciences and humanities, according to the release. IU also maintains extensive library collections, such as the Lilly Library’s sizeable collection of Brazilian materials, and renowned research institutes for the Brazilian region.