Monday's Songwriter Showcase features new performers

entSongwriter

The independently produced Bloomington Songwriter Showcase will return Monday at the Player’s Pub to create the opportunity for the public to enjoy songwriting by local musicians.

Unlike most other Monday showcases, which have four featured performers, this showcase will only have three songwriters. The lineup for Monday will be Steve Boller, Angela White and David Michael Kirk.

This week’s showcase will also include an open chair, meaning three new songwriters from Indiana will be performing in this specific section.

The featured showcase will follow every other weekly showcase and is set to take place at 8 p.m. at the Players Pub. There will be no cover charge to attend the event, and all ages are welcome.

“It is our monthly open ‘Share-a-Chair’ evening where we hold one of the feature writer spots open and rotate new talent throughout the evening,” Suzette Weakly said in a press release.

David Michael Kirk moved back to Bloomington, having previously lived in Los Angeles, according to the Songwriters Showcase website. He plays Americana music influenced by classic rock and the blues.

Kirk has also won numerous accolades for his songwriting such as a spot on the recent Blooming-Tunes Song Contest in 2012. He will perform material from the new CD he is currently working on.

“I’ve heard a few cuts from David M. Kirk’s upcoming CD,” Weakly said in the release. “It’s very, very special music.”

Steve Boller is a musician who mostly plays acoustic songs on the guitar. He has performed at the Players Pub as a part of the showcase several times. He came to Bloomington a few years ago and has developed a ?following.

Angela White is a songwriter who performs country, rock and Americana music and a capella or with acoustic guitar. Her songs mostly come from her soul, according to the Showcase website.

White has performed at the pub before, having first taken part in the open guest “Share-a-Chair” evening, at which Weakly said she completely stole the show.

“She is very reminiscent of Emmylou (Harris) and Loretta Lynn,” Weakly said.

Like all other showcases, this upcoming performance will be broken into sections during which each act will perform songs for their musical set in a round-robin style.

Audience members are encouraged to give donations throughout the performance in order to support the musical acts.