Rod Tuffcurls and the Bench Press to kick off Graduation weekend

Rod Tuffcurls & the Bench Press perform at The Bluebird in March 12, 2014.  The band will play shows at ther bar on Friday and Saturday.

Long-running Chicago-based cover band Rod Tuffcurls & the Bench Press will make their return to the Bluebird Nightclub to play a “highly energized” concert this weekend.

The group will be playing back-to-back nights on Friday and Saturday in honor of graduation weekend.

Doors will open at 8:00 p.m. and the show will start at 9:00 p.m. on Friday. The doors are scheduled to open at 7:00 p.m. and the show will start at 8:00 p.m. on ?Saturday.

The group will play three sets on Friday and two sets on ?Saturday.

Rod Tuffcurls and the other members of the group — C.C. Ryder, Happy Masterson and Dick Celebrity ­— create their own blend of cover jams, singing hits from artists and bands such as the Beatles, Madonna, Miley Cyrus, musicals and television theme songs.

The band is known for their flamboyant fashion and performance style, according to the group’s website. They primarily play at clubs, festivals, weddings and other events all across the Midwest.

Celebrity, the drummer of the group, said viewers should expect to see a great and highly energetic show for the weekend.

“The show is going to have a lot of super-high ?energy and will be a lot of fun,” Celebrity said. “The crowds and their applause keep us alive and motivated to keep coming back to play.”

Celebrity said these Friday and Saturday shows are especially significant since they are dedicated to graduation weekend and for the students who are ?leaving.

“Every year we like to say goodbye to fans who we might not ever see again,” Celebrity said. “A lot of our fans have been coming the last few years, and this will be a pretty sad moment ?for us.”

For the show, the group is planning on doing covers of songs such as “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” by Whitney Houston, “Let It Go” from “Frozen,” “Shut Up and Dance” by Walk the Moon and many other songs.

Rod Tuffcurls & the Bench Press have performed at the Bluebird venue multiple times and has gained a large student following.

“The crowds here make us proud to be performing here,” Celebrity said. “It is the most fun place we like to play at.”

Ryan Slater, a Bloomington native, has seen the band in both Bloomington and Chicago. He said it is a different kind of experience when the group performs at the Bluebird over anywhere else.

“It is truly an incredible experience being able to travel all over and see this group perform,” Slater said. “Though it seems it is way more fun for all of us when they perform at the ?Bluebird.”

The event is for anyone who is 21-years-old and older, and there will be an $8 entrance fee.

“Our group is described as the cover-band that’s never seen a cover-band,” Celebrity said. “Expect to see a lot of high energy face-kicking rock madness and a lot of off-the-wall stuff.”