Four IU divers qualify for World Championships

After three days of competition, four divers who have IU connections have qualified for the World Championships later this summer in Kazan, Russia.

Former IU All-American Amy Cozad, rising sophomore Jessica Parratto, rising junior Michael Hixon and former IU All-American Darian Schmidt all qualified to compete in Russia.

Cozad and Parratto finished 1-2 in the platform competition, while Hixon and Schmidt went 1-2 on the 3-meter springboard.

Cozad earned a score of 1017.05 in the platform competition. Parratto finished just eight points behind her with a score of 1009.25.

“Consistency is the name of the game,” Cozad said in the release, referring to her high scores. Throughout the three rounds, she scored more than 52 points on 14 out of 15 dives.

“That’s how you get to finals,” she said in the release.

Cozad and Parratto had qualified previously for the World Championships as partners in the patform synchro event, and Cozad stressed their strength as a duo in the release.

“We are a team and we are going to be a team,” she said. “It was great to be able to do this with her.”

Hixon had also already qualified for the world team with his 1-meter springboard score, but tallied a final three-round score of 1352.30 on the 3-meter springboard during the weekend, according to the release.

He scored 502.80 on his final six-dive list, according to the release, creating a personal best.

“I was in a pretty big hole after prelims but you can’t give up,” Hixon said in the release. “This is my first time over 500 (points in a competition). I have been flirting with that number, and to finally get over it is big.”

The World Championships will be Schmidt’s first major international competition, according to the release. He said it was coach Drew Johansen’s knowledge and his growth as an athlete that helped him reach the next level.

The Hoosiers will compete July 24 – August 2 in Kazan, Russia for the World Championships. Rising IU sophomore James Connor, who will be representing Australia in the competition, will also be present.

Anicka Slachta