COLUMN: ?When will body shaming cease to exist?

Pop star Pink attended a cancer benefit this past weekend. Pink’s friend was awarded for her great effort toward a cure for cancer.

While this event is something to be celebrated, many social media users did not acknowledge it. What they chose to focus on was how Pink appeared to be “fat.”

Earlier this year, singer Kelly Clarkson also received criticism regarding her weight.

This body shaming needs to stop.

Both of these women are incredibly talented. They have written great music, worked tirelessly on their tours and have proven to have strong business skills. Their accomplishments should be acknowledged and admired.

Yet the aspect many people on social media sites choose to focus on is these singers’ physical appearance. This is one struggle women in media have to face that men in the same professions don’t.

Many female entertainers put in long hours in the studio or on set.

They often miss out on spending time with their families. They go through hundreds of rehearsals and planning meetings. In the scope of all of this, it is pathetic that social media still chooses to focus on these women’s looks.

These women are also mothers. During pregnancy, a woman’s body goes through so many changes. During birth, women experience a tremendous amount of pain that seems unbearable.

Both of these entertainers have gone through the changes and pain of having children. Despite their busy schedules, they still make time to raise their children. It’s saddening the media still chooses to criticize the bodies of these stars after what they have been through to have a child. Of course their bodies won’t be perfect.

Their bodies shouldn’t have to look perfect even if they had a child. They deserve to be praised for their talents, not just for their appearances. Although Pink was strongly criticized for her body weight, she released a statement on a social media site stating she feels beautiful.

Clarkson also released a statement about how she did not care about what people thought of her weight gain because her body carried a child, which seemed amazing to her.

It is sad our society has not made much progress in terms of criticizing women’s appearances.

However, the statements released by these two entertainers give us hope. It is refreshing to read that not only do these women not care what others think, but they actually love their bodies.

For that, I applaud them.

Until there comes a time when women are respected for their skills instead of being criticized for their appearances, it is important that they fight back with love for their own bodies.