COLUMN: Rubio enters the fray and thank God

Sen. Marco Rubio announced his intentions to run for the Republican nomination Monday. His announcement speech was short and to the point, and honestly, I found it compelling.

He might be one of the first — or at least one of the few — Republicans to have launched a campaign and strategy on progressive ?language and mentality.

Well, as progressive as a conservative may safely be.

He focused on how returning to the past in either policy or candidate — an obvious swipe at Hillary Clinton — is not what this country needs.

He argued that in order for the 21st century to be an American century, it needs to decrease regulation, modernize the immigration system, reform education and return to our place at the center of international leadership.

As a card-carrying Republican myself, I have longed for this day.

I can’t stand Jeb Bush, am too afraid of Rand Paul, don’t find Ted Cruz horribly likable and to be honest, wouldn’t like to foot the bill flying Chris Christie around.

OK, that was a low blow, but I think you get the point. Marco Rubio is different — at least at the present he is. Only time will tell where he finds himself at the end of the long nomination ?process.

He could be the invigoration the Republican Party desperately needs.

People such as John McCain, Mitch McConnell or John Boehner — I always pronounce his last name wrong — are exactly what’s wrong with the party I love.

I am not a Republican because I am prejudiced, rich or privileged.

I am Republican because I believe personal responsibility, liberty and choice are not burdens but honors that we all should carry proudly. Yes, I know that sounds cliché, but truthfully that is what I believe.

I am for limited government not because I don’t think there are problems in our society but that “the road to hell is paved with good intentions.”

Maybe I am just not trusting enough, but I have no interest in paying the consequences of someone else’s dream turned nightmare. But I digress.

I would challenge you to think about Marco Rubio because regardless of where you fall on the political spectrum, couldn’t we at least agree what we don’t need is another Bush or Clinton?

Or perhaps I am wrong and what we have is a hereditary monarchy and not a republic. There are more than 300 million people in this country. If we can’t find anyone more qualified than those two, maybe we ?deserve them.

Think about Rubio, think carefully about Clinton and Bush and thank God we live in a country where you can actually vote.