Hoosiers open home season with 5-3 victory

Junior shortstop Nick Ramos is introduced prior to IU's home opener against Eastern Michigan on Tuesday at Bart Kaufman Field.

Pitching led the way for IU on Tuesday to secure a win in the team’s first home game of the ?season.

In his first career start, IU freshman Brian Hobbie shut down the visiting Eagles of Eastern Michigan to help IU win 5-3 at Bart Kaufman Field.

He pitched four innings and allowed zero runs on one hit while striking out seven.

“I thought he was great, he just fatigued a little bit,” IU Coach Chris Lemonis said. “He probably hadn’t been out there as a reliever as much. We’ll try to get his pitch count up.”

Hobbie also picked up his first win of the year.

“Getting past the first inning and getting a zero, it really helps you out just mentally to have confidence,” Hobbie said. “It was nice just to be out in this atmosphere, all the fans cheering for you, it’s a lot different than the away games.”

Sophomores Thomas Belcher and Kent Williams combined in relief to pitch into the eighth where senior Luke Harrison took over and got his third save of the?season.

“It’s nice to know if you can’t throw a lot of innings, throw a few good ones and you have a good bullpen behind you,” Hobbie said.

The scoring started early for the Hoosiers, as senior outfielder Will Nolden got an RBI on a groundout, followed by an RBI double from freshman Isaiah Pasteur in the second inning.

The third inning saw senior designated hitter Scott Donley hit his first home run of the season. Senior second baseman Casey Rodrigue drove home a run on a groundout in the fourth inning, and freshman Chris Lowe scored on a passed ball in the seventh.

Lemonis said it felt good to come home and establish a routine, and that guys felt comfortable.

“I just think getting comfortable is a big part of it, the first couple games it was just really tight and we were facing some of the best arms in the country so it’s to be expected,” Lemonis said. “I like our effort, we were pretty solid up and down the lineup today.”

IU (9-4) will play Eastern Michigan (6-11) again 4 p.m. Wednesday at Bart Kaufman Field.

In a surprising turn, junior Kyle Hart will make his return from an injury he sustained part way through last season and get the start for the Hoosiers. Hart was 3-1 with a 2.29 ERA before the injury last year.

Lemonis said even in the fall, Wednesday was the day Hart would come back.

“The only thing we said in the fall was it had to be nice weather, and so when we saw it was supposed to be 60 degrees and sunny that’s about as good as you can get. I think the gods are looking down on him a little bit.”

With 10 hits, Tuesday marked the eighth game out of the past nine that IU has reached 10 hits, and Pasteur said the Hoosiers have no plans of slowing down.

“We go up to the plate with the mentality to just get the ball in play, just keep the lineup moving,” Pasteur said. “It’s good to come out in front of the home fans and just compete out there and get the win.”