Fashion website informs students on campus trends

College Fashionista is a fashion website comprised of articles written by student reporters who share some of the latest styles and trends on campuses around the world.

Features on College Fashionista showcase fashion-forward students dressed for class, interviews, dates or errands around town.

With new articles available each week, readers can keep up with the latest styles, tips on matching accessories, dressing for the cold or transforming a comfortable outfit into a chic staple.

Style Gurus, the student interns for College Fashionista, write articles on these fashionable students so readers can learn more about what to wear and how to wear it.

Sophomore and apparel merchandising major Maggie Guenther is the head Style Guru for College Fashionista at IU.

“Anybody can do it,” she said. “We have students studying business, SPEA, journalism. It doesn’t have to be that you’re really into fashion. It’s interesting that we get little bits of ?everyone.”

Style Gurus need skills that go beyond the knowledge of fashion — with articles due each week, it is important for students to have the ability to write descriptively and perform well under strict deadlines.

A major part of the internship is networking with other students and writers.

“It has made me step out of my boundaries a lot,” Guenther said.

With hundreds of Style Gurus on other college campuses, Guenther said she has been able to expand her network of fashion-savvy students across the country.

Amy Levin, founder and creative director of College Fashionista, is an IU alumna.

Levin said going to school at IU ended up helping her in her career. It gave her more time to become creative, she said.

Though many of her peers got a head start interning while studying in New York City, Levin got the chance to launch the website while she was still in Bloomington. It was previously known as IU ?Fashionista.

Today, Levin’s job is to keep the website running on a larger scale from New York City.

“From individual meetings with my team members to shooting an editorial feature on the street with college students, my day is all over the place, which keeps things exciting,” she said in an email.

College Fashionista is about students. Creating positive relationships between Style Gurus and their peers is one of the aspects that allows the website to make the daily student environment more exciting with fashion, Levin said.

“We look for students who have strong leadership skills and are looking to establish a voice within our brand as influencers on campus in the fashion, beauty and lifestyle space,” Levin said.

Readers can find articles on what to wear, style advice and “fashion insiders,” which include posts on public figures such as Nicky Hilton and other individuals involved in the fashion business.

Levin likes to call the students her “Style Guru army,” as they come from different college campuses and study a variety of ?subjects.

She said this wide variety “allows college students who share similar interests develop a bond and network amongst each other.”

Students who are interested in the internship during the summer and school year can apply at collegefashionisita.com/apply.