Union Board offers spring break service trip

Union Board will sponsor a Habitat for Humanity spring break trip to Winter Haven, Fla., this year for students looking to serve instead of surf. The trip is March 14-21.

Habitat for Humanity is an organization whose mission is to build homes for families in need. Kevin Kenes, Union Board director of the Fun and Adventure committee, said student volunteers will likely work on two or three houses within the week and meet the families they are serving.

The IU chapter of Habitat for Humanity assisted in planning this trip. Junior Azad Neupane is a member of the chapter and specifically works with chapter development.

The chapter worked with Union Board as part of its?efforts to involve other campus organizations in Habitat, Neupane said.

Although a Habitat build is not a typical spring break trip, Kenes said the location would allow the group to do more than just manual labor.

Kenes said they would work four out of the five days and use extra time for activities such as a day trip to the beach in Tampa or Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla.

“It would be more than just a build,” he said. “It’s supposed to be the whole spring break experience.”

In his experience, Neupane said, the professional crew on site at a build effectively works with volunteers.

“You don’t even need any experience — they understand that you’re college students,” he said.

The trip costs $250 per student, which includes travel, food and lodging.

Neupane said some of the money might be used as a donation by the organization and put into future builds. He said a Habitat house is not simply given away; the recipient family pays a type of mortgage. Once the family pays off the mortgage for their new home, that money is returned and used to fund another house. Neupane said that in this way, donations are always being paid forward.

“You know that the money that you’re putting into this trip, it’s not just a one-time thing,” he said.

Students will travel by bus to Winter Haven, Fla., and stay in a local church, Kenes said.

There are 15 spots open for the trip. Interested students can reserve a spot by emailing ubtrips@indiana.edu.

If more than 15 students are interested, Kenes said, the spots would be filled based on an application process. This is to ensure each student is committed to the service they would do.

Students should reserve their spot by March 1. Kenes said the trip is a rewarding way for students to spend their break. He said he wants enough interested students to fill the bus.

“You want an experience that can improve your resume and give you that warm fuzzy feeling inside afterward,” he said.

Kenes said the build is a tangible way for volunteers to see the impact of their work on a family or community and creates a valuable experience.

“We thought it would be a great way for students to kind of go a little bit out of their comfort zone,” Kenes said. “Gives them a chance to do something good.”