Bottom of the Big Ten teams meet Wednesday

Sophomore guard Larryn Brooks attempts a three-point shot during the Hoosier’s game against Northwestern at Assembly Hall on Thursday. The Hoosiers had 20 turnovers and lost 75-69.

IU and Illinois are not all that different.

IU (13-10, 3-9) began the season 10-1 in nonconference play. The Fighting Illini (12-12, 3-9) began the season 9-3 with some impressive wins over teams like No. 10 Kentucky and Virginia.

Since the Big Ten season has come into play, both are 3-9. IU has lost six of its last seven. Illinois has lost eight of its last nine.

The two struggling border rivals will meet 7 p.m. Wednesday in Assembly Hall.

“We’re tied right now in the league with them,” Moren said. “It’s a meaningful game and the players know that.”

Both teams are fond of the 3-point shot, as Illinois averages more than 20 3-point attempts per game. IU attempts 23 a game. Both are shooting 32 percent from deep.

The Illinois defense has a plan for stopping the 3-point shooting, as they like to create chaos.

“They’re really good defensively,” Moren said. “They play the buzz defense which is a little out of the ordinary, a zone, that they try to really fly around and trap and we’re going to have to have a lot of poise and composure. And then they’re going to throw a switching man-to-man and then a 2-3. So they really try to keep you off-balance defensively.”

Poise and composure will be crucial in attempting to handle this defense, Moren said, and sophomore guard Larryn Brooks and freshman guard Tyra Buss are the players that control the ball the most for IU.

Moren said Monday’s film session went great for IU and she expects the energy to continue.

IU lost 78-70 on Sunday to Ohio State, and the team has been positive about the progress it showed in playing 40 minutes throughout the loss.

“Not that we will ever accept losing, because we won’t, but there were a lot of really good things that came out of that and we’re trying to build off of that,” ?Moren said.

Illinois convincingly beat Minnesota by 26 — a team that defeated IU in a close game Jan. 18. On the other hand, IU has beaten Purdue and Wisconsin, who both defeated the Fighting Illini.

This will be the penultimate home game for the Hoosiers. They are 10-5 at home, but 3-4 in conference play in Assembly Hall.

“We’ve come up short on a few of those, but there’s been some really good moments in Assembly Hall and I don’t think Wednesday night will be any different,” Moren said. “I would anticipate an eager group and our kids coming out and really being excited about ?competition.”