Art gallery raises money for local charity

BeCAUSE Bloomington, an art gallery and studio located on Kirkwood Avenue, is to host “Insight,” an art show benefiting the Middle Way House, starting at 5 p.m. Friday with kickoff events ?running until 8 p.m.

Eight artists, most of whom are IU students, were selected by store owner Brianne Harness to display and sell their artwork at affordable prices. The aim of the gallery is to encourage attendees to start their own art collections while supporting charitable causes.

“I hope that the community gets really involved and behind supporting causes ?locally,” Harness said.

Ten percent of all proceeds from “Insight” will go to the Middle Way House, an organization that fights domestic violence against women. The organization aims to end domestic abuse by exposing the prevalent sexism in today’s culture that inadvertently promotes and justifies the mistreatment of women, according to the Middle Way House website.

They manage a variety of groups, projects and other activities with the help of the local community.

Harness said beCAUSE Bloomington is known for supporting nonprofit fundraising — they typically host painting parties and art lessons and donate a portion of the profits to charity ?foundations.

In addition to the art displays, the event will also feature live music by Mike Gronsky and free tarot readings by Tarot by Daun. Jewelry by Wood Merkaba will be displayed, and Laughing Planet will cater.

To select the art being sold, Harness went through various sample portfolios that were submitted to the studio and selected eight whose aesthetics complemented one ?another.

“We have a strong body of work for this show,” Harness said. “I was trying to find a group where all of the pieces went together and didn’t fight one another.”

IU sophomore Sarah Power, whose portfolio was selected, submitted four pieces to sell at the art show. She specializes in abstract and ?figurative painting.

All four of Power’s works that will be displayed represent a religious, spiritual theme. Power said she is excited to support a cause while receiving an opportunity to display and sell her art.

“This is turning out to be more of an event than I thought it would be, and it’s really exciting,” Power said.

“Insight,” which runs until Feb. 28, is one of many exhibits to be featured at beCAUSE Bloomington. The gallery is always hosting and in search of new projects to support. Harness said she also has events for Down Syndrome Family Connection and Peach’s Neet Feet planned for her business’s future.

“If anyone has any other ideas and wants to participate in the future, I’m always taking applications,” ?Harness said.

The show is free, but guests are encouraged to bring a donation item from the Middle Way House ?wish list.

The list is located on their official website and contains miscellaneous household items, but beCAUSE Bloomington is primarily asking for unopened art supplies.