IU hires Shawn Roof as final member of coaching staff

New IU baseball Coach Chris Lemonis added another member to his coaching staff Wednesday with the hiring of Shawn Roof.

Roof will work primarily with IU’s infielders, baserunners and hitters after spending two years in the Baltimore Orioles organization working with infielders and hitters.

“We feel like we’ve made a home run hire with Shawn,” Lemonis said in a press release. “He’s a perfect fit for our staff. His expertise is infield play, base running, the inside game, and he’ll really help our staff in coaching those areas.”

Roof played at the University of Illinois for four years from 2004 to 2007 before spending six years playing professionally in various minor league levels of the Detroit Tigers and Minnesota Twins organizations.

While at Illinois, Roof was a third team All-Big Ten honoree in 2006 and won the Big Ten Sportsmanship award during his senior season in 2007.

“It’s exciting to get to a program like Indiana University,” Roof said in a press release. “It’s a great school with great academics and a lot of tradition. It’s great to get back to the Big Ten. This baseball program is top-notch and one of the top ones in the country.”

Roof fills out the IU coaching staff, replacing Ty Rogers who left to work in a support role with the IU basketball team.

“Coach Lemonis and the staff here have a great track record,” Roof said in a press release. “I’m very excited to learn from those guys and work with the players here.”