IU swimmers earn weekly honors

Three IU swimmers earned Big Ten weekly honors this week. Junior Brooklynn Snodgrass is the women’s Big Ten Swimmer of the Week, while Blake Pieroni and Kennedy Goss are Big Ten co-freshmen of the Week for the men and women, respectively.

Snodgrass won three national titles at last week’s AT&T Winter National Championships. She took first in the 100-yard ?backstroke, earning an NCAA qualifying time of 51.59. Snodgrass’ other individual win came in the 200-backstroke. Her time of 1:51.22 was another NCAA A-cut and third-fastest time in IU history.

The junior was also part of the Hoosiers’ 800-yard freestyle relay team, which won in 7:05.21. Snodgrass finished with a silver medal in the 400-free relay.

It’s her eighth-career Swimmer of the Week ?honor.

Goss placed second in the 200-yard freestyle and earned bronze in the 500-freestyle. With a time of 1:52.41 in the 200-backstroke, Goss placed fifth and automatically qualified for the NCAAs. She, too, was a member of the 800- and 400-freestyle relay teams along with Snodgrass.

It’s Goss’ third time being named Freshman of the Week, in just four total ?collegiate meets.

Pieroni, who earned his first Freshman of the Week award, set a new school record last week in the 200-yard freestyle race, finishing in 1:34.55.

He placed third in the 800-freestyle relay. In four events, the 800-free relay, 200-free, 200-yard individual medley and 100-free, Pieroni finished with NCAA provisional times.

The Hoosiers next compete Jan. 16-17 against Wisconsin and Notre Dame in Madison, Wisc.