Why did no one participate?

Last Tuesday’s election was a disappointment.

No, not just because Republicans took control of the Senate in an overwhelmingly triumphant sweep of the nation that left Democrats literally and colloquially seeing red.

Not just because all of my conservative friends and family members immediately took to social media to gloat — sorry, “celebrate” — their tremendous and admittedly dramatic victory against all of President Obama’s allies.

Not just because everyone is already tossing around the phrase “repeal Obamacare.”

Tuesday’s election was a disappointment because less than half of the nation decided to vote.

Voter turnout for non-presidential election cycles has been declining steadily for the past few decades, but the number of eligible Americans who decided it was worth their time to carve out a trip to the polls was particularly low.

A mere 28 percent of the eligible voting population went to the polls in Indiana this year, down from 38 percent in 2010, according to U.S. News and World Report. Midterm election turnout has been dropping steadily since the 1960s. Almost 50 percent of the nation voted in the 1966 midterms, but only 42 percent cast ballots in 2010.

Personally, I find those statistics humiliating.

We live in a country that loves to boast of its many freedoms, but less than half of the population feels compelled to take a break from their busy days and voice their opinions about the country’s leadership.

The statistic that truly struck me was that only 13 percent of voters were younger than 30.

Fewer than two in 10 young Americans felt it was important enough to take the time to do some basic research and get to the polls.

As a woman, I feel personally offended by that statistic — and I also think it contributed to the incredible victory celebrated by Republicans, considering the younger population is more likely than others to vote Democratic.

As I walked around campus Tuesday encouraging my classmates to vote, I was neutralized by the same responses: “I have tons of homework,” “I don’t know any of the candidates” and “I forgot to register to vote.”

It has been fewer than 100 years since women gained suffrage in 1920. That means there are women alive today who were born into a society that did not consider women — or young people for that matter — intelligent or qualified enough to vote.

In four countries around the world, women are still denied the right to vote. Throughout history, countless protesters and activists have died violent deaths in an attempt to procure that basic human right.

But you have homework? OK.

Based on the dramatic shifts that occurred Tuesday, as well as dozens of other factors, the 2016 presidential election will reveal many crucial things about our nation and ourselves.

Two years from now, show those who fought and died for your rights some respect and appreciation. Google “voter registration” and sign yourself up. Take half an hour to research the basic opinions of each candidate running and pick whomever you feel is the most qualified.

Sit down for 90 minutes and watch “Iron Jawed Angels” and learn about suffragists.

We are incredibly lucky to be Americans for so many reasons, and the right to choose our leaders is a big one. Participate.