Moren excited for freshmen class

Then Indiana State Coach Teri Moren during a game against IU. Moren is the new IU Women's Basketball coach.

Recruiting is the foundation of any successful college athletics program.

Most of the attention goes to the high profile, blue-chip recruits, but a program can completely change its culture with the right class of players.

For the IU women’s basketball team, last season’s freshmen class, which includes leading scorer Larryn Brooks, Taylor Agler, Alexis Gassion, Karlee McBride, Jenn Anderson and Lyndsay Leikem, helped lead the team to its best season since ?2008-09.

Last year ended with a loss to South Dakota State in the Women’s NIT ?quarterfinals.

There are hopes around the program that the 2014 class can help elevate the program to the next level, possibly giving it a chance to return to the NCAA tournament and become one of the top programs in the Big Ten.

“They’re not your typical freshmen,” IU Coach Teri Moren said. “They’ve caught on really quick, and our expectations are high for all ?of them.”

While adjusting can take an extended period of time, freshman Maura Muensterman, the winner in the women’s 3-point contest at Hoosier Hysteria and 11th best scorer in Indiana high school basketball history, said the upperclassmen have helped during the process.

“The upperclassmen have done a good job to make sure there isn’t as much pressure on us,” Muensterman said. “We’ve done a good job working as a team, and I don’t think it’s just our class that has a lot of pressure. Our entire team does.”

Dealing with pressure is nothing new for the 2014 class, which includes one of the most prolific scorers in Illinois women’s high school basketball history, Tyra Buss.

As a senior, Buss averaged 45.8 points per game and scored 66 points in a single game last December.

Despite the accolades, Buss said the class doesn’t feel any pressure, as a group or individually, going into the season.

“There’s no pressure at all,” she said. “We’re just out there having fun and playing with our teammates.”

The class also includes guard Jess Walter and forward Amanda Cahill.

Walter is her high school’s record holder for points, 3-pointers made and assists in a single-season.

Cahill is a highly decorated player from Ohio that has impressed Moren throughout her first few months with the program by providing the team with a stretch four that can help space the floor for the IU guard heavy offense.

“Our most impressive freshman has been Amanda at the stretch-four spot,” Moren said. “She just makes plays. She’s always around the ball and has a knack for knowing where the ball will be for offensive rebounds.”

With the gradual integration of the first-year players into IU’s rotation, there is still plenty of room for improvement before the conference schedule begins Dec. 28. Moren said she believes each freshman will continue to get better as the season ?progresses.

“They’ve been terrific,” she said. “They have been coachable and eager to get better. It’s been exciting for our coaching staff.”

Follow reporter Dan Matney on Twitter