Baby it’s cold outside: Tips for dressing for basketball season

This time of year generally has Hoosiers everywhere thinking of one thing: basketball season.

I began the semester writing an article about style ideas for football tailgating, so I consider this to be the second part of my IU sports style guide.

With the football game this past weekend, it was pretty apparent the weather is getting colder by the day and moving into the first stages of that polar vortex we all remember and love.

I’ve assembled a list of suggestions as we go into the thick of both basketball season and freezing weather.

Tip No. 1:

While I love the classic IU headbands and beanies I see floating around campus, I’m always looking for ways to switch things up and inspire something new.

For the walk across campus or simply from the car into Assembly Hall, you’ll want to keep your ears warm from the biting cold. Pick up a pair of red or white earmuffs for a cute, warm addition to your basketball ensemble.

Tip No. 2:

Take a pair of cream and a pair of crimson socks and layer them under your boots or sneakers.

Get a longer pair of one color and a shorter of the other, layering the shorter on top. It’s an opportunity to show off your school pride and will keep you twice as warm.

Tip No. 3:

During football season, I see so many girls rocking the candy-stripe overalls with a tank top or T-shirt underneath. And while that works for 60- and 70-degree weather, unfortunately it doesn’t fare so well when it starts to drop below the 40s.

Layer a hooded sweatshirt or crewneck underneath to make them seasonally appropriate and get optimum use out of them.

Tip No. 4:

Based on the endless compliments this sweatshirt from the IU Bookstore has received, I think I’m required to put this on my favorites list.

As the holiday season approaches, incorporate some of the holiday spirit into your time at the basketball games. Grab one of the Christmas sweater-style IU sweatshirts, which I’m predicting to be a huge hit in the coming month, and throw a Santa hat on for a whimsical take on showing your school spirit.

Tip No. 5:

As I’m sure many of you will be sporting candy-striped leggings or pajama pants, I only caution that you keep the rest of the clothing items and accessories simple. The candy stripes are fairly loud on their own, and too many other components would make the look an eyesore. Less is more.

Wishing you a warm, happy and fashionable basketball season.