sports cross-country

Cross country teams place eighth in Washington

Both the IU men’s and women’s cross country teams finished in eighth place Saturday at the Washington Invitational.

The women combined for 216 points and the No. 7 men combined for 157 points at the Jefferson Park Golf Course trail in Seattle.

Twin sisters Brittany and Bethany Neeley led the IU women, finishing 25th and 29th respectively.

Brittany, a redshirt freshman, finished with a time of 21:00 in the women’s 6K. Sophomore sister Bethany finished three seconds behind at 21:03.

Sophomore Amanda Behnke finished third for IU in 44th place with a time of 21:20. Freshman Jill Whitman and sophomore Chanli Mundy rounded out the IU scorers in 57th and 61st place, respectively.

In the men’s race, junior Matt Schwartzer led IU with a 16th place finish in the 8K with a time of 23:47. Senior Evan Esselink finished just one second behind in 17th place.

In his first race of the season, senior Rorey Hunter finished in 36th place, third among Hoosiers, with a time of 24:17.

Sophomore Jason Crist and freshman Kieran Reilly rounded out the IU scoring in 41st and 47th, respectively.

IU will compete next on Oct. 17 and Oct. 18 with split squads.

The first meet will be the Adidas Invitational in Madison, Wis., followed by the Pre-National meet on the 18th in Terre Haute.