City sponsors "From Coverage to Care" event

An event Thursday aims to educate Monroe County residents about upcoming open enrollment for the Indiana Health Insurance Marketplace.

The City of Bloomington and several local organizations will sponsor the event, called “From Coverage to Care.” It will take place from 1 to 2:30 p.m. at the Banneker Community Center at 930 W. Seventh St. in Bloomington, according to the city.

Nancy Woolery, health projects coordinator for the City of Bloomington, said the city has sponsored similar events since before the first open enrollment for Affordable Care Act ?coverage.

“This is an event where we’re just trying to educate people, from basic health care terminology to how to choose a health plan, what they need to know for open enrollment 2015,” Woolery said. “There’s been some changes that people need to know about.”

That includes an increased number of insurance carriers participating in Monroe County, she said, which means more competition and hopefully lower prices.

People can learn more about their options at the event, whether they’re already enrolled or enrolling for the first time.

“They can automatically re-enroll, but that means they’ll have their same plan, pay the same premiums,” Woolery said. “We’re telling people, even if you’re ?planning on re-enrolling, you shouldn’t do so until you see the new plans we have on the market in Monroe County.”

Helping others enroll for coverage requires certification from the state. Woolery is a certified Indiana navigator, someone who helps enroll people in the Health Insurance Marketplace and estimates there are about 15 navigators in Monroe County. IU Health also employs certified navigators, she said.

United Way of Monroe County, a co-sponsor of the event, is providing funds for 14 more navigators to train and become certified.

IU Health Individual Solutions, CoverMonroe and Premier Healthcare will also co-sponsor the event, according to the release.

Speakers at the event will talk about terminology, plans offered in the county and understanding insurance benefits.

Woolery said if Monroe County residents can’t make it to the event and need help enrolling, they can contact her. There will be other events scheduled around the county, as well, she said.

“We’ve been having a lot of sessions over at the Monroe County Library where people can come listen to the health insurance carriers that are in Monroe County,” Woolery said. “We’ve been getting a very good response, but we would really like to do more because there are some changes we probably don’t know about yet.”