Age has no impact on the road to victory

Some say that Roger Federer is past his prime. I say not.

Here’s a disclaimer — Federer is my favorite tennis player, so of course I want him to win.

But as one of the oldest players participating in the US Open, at 33, Federer has held his own against much younger players. I believe he still has a real chance to win another Slam.

Already, during his journey to the quarterfinals, Federer has dropped only one set against Granollers during the third round.

Especially since Nadal, who along with Djokoic has been Federer’s toughest competition, is not participating in this year’s U.S. Open, a Federer win seems like a distinct possibility.

But beyond that, he’s just such a classy player that, even if you didn’t believe he could win, there is some part of you that wants him to.

I would also argue that, while perhaps some other players can best Federer during an individual match, Federer has one of the most perfect playing styles to ever come out of tennis.

From his one-handed backhand to his tendency to serve-and-volley, watching him play is like watching a masterwork of art being created.

His game is certainly beautiful and the highlight reels love him.

Already, I’ve seen highlights of him pulling off a tweener, a between-the-legs shot, that hit his opponent in the back who had turned around thinking the point was over, as well as a perfect no-look sliding lob — all while making it seem effortless.

In the next round, the quarterfinals, Federer is set to play Gael Monfils and, if he continues, he will play either Tomas Berdych or Marian Cilic, both of whom are known for their enormous serves.

I don’t think Federer will have a difficult time against Monfils.

Federer has won seven of the nine matches they have played and, with few exceptions, by comfortable ?margins.

Further, Federer has won all five matches he has played against Cilic and 12 of the 18 matches he has played against Berdych.

Either way, the matches look to be exciting ones, especially at the level these players have been playing recently.

It will be an interesting ?final.