sports women's soccer

Women's soccer season begins today

WomensSoccer

Jordan Woolums and Rebecca Dreher know there are going to be people who doubt them.

Last year’s IU women’s soccer team was a preseason pick to finish last in the Big Ten but responded with one of the best seasons in program history, setting records in wins, goals scored, assists, points and shutouts.

The Hoosiers advanced to the team’s first Big Ten Tournament and NCAA Tournament in six years.

But this year’s team will look much different than last year’s under the leadership of second-year IU Coach Amy Berbary.

The team will look to replace players, lost to transfers, injury and graduation, who accounted for 59 percent of the team’s points last season, including Shannon Flower, who played every minute in goal last year.

There is a reason for a bit of uncertainty surrounding Berbary’s team as IU opens its regular season 7 p.m. tonight against Indiana State at Bill Armstrong Stadium, but senior midfielders Woolums and Dreher are eager to prove last year’s success was no accident.

“We have heard everyone talk about how they think it’s a fluke, and quite frankly, we’re not too happy about that,” senior midfielder Jordan Woolums said, cracking a smile. “It’s a totally new team and a totally new ?atmosphere.”

As she did last season, Berbary has once again preached to her team to focus on the “one game at a time” mentality. She said the long-term goal this year will be to finish in the top six of an improved Big Ten conference, with the additions of Maryland and Rutgers.

Berbary said if her team takes care of that, everything else will fall into place.

“We’re really focusing on getting into the top six first, and then hopefully it will get us closer to our larger goals,” Berbary said. “We think top six would assure us a Big Ten tournament and possibly a national tournament.”

Indiana State comes to Bloomington following a 10-9 year last season.

The Sycamores return All-MVC First Team selection junior midfielder Kate Johnson, who accounted for 21 points on eight goals and five assists last season.

IU’s second game will be on the road 1 p.m. Sunday in Ypsilanti, Mich., where the Hoosiers will play Eastern Michigan. IU defeated the Eagles 1-0 last season.

The Hoosiers defeated Louisville 1-0 in an exhibition at home last Saturday, but sophomore defender Marissa Borschke wasn’t entirely pleased with how the Hoosiers played.

In practice this week, she said IU has been working on cleaning up possession. Added focus was put on first touches, connecting on passes and closing down on defense.

One key area yet to be addressed this season will be a starting goalie.

Junior Sarah Stone returns with the most experience and played in the spring, but both freshman Maddie Drexelius and sophomore Katie Greulich have impressed Berbary in camp and in the exhibition game.

Regardless of who starts, the Hoosiers haven’t shied away from the importance of having success in the opening weekend. Senior midfielder Bekah White said the team is already thinking about RPI and wants to ensure a postseason berth.

“I think it’s really important confidence-wise just to get a head start on the season,” White said. “We’re always looking at RPI and focusing on that and it all starts this weekend.”