Taking tailgate season by storm

With the beginning of the school year underway, many of you might be working to perfect your back-to-school wardrobe this week. But think again. The more important question is: what will you be wearing this weekend?

Nighttime outfits are a little easier due to the fact that there is typically no theme or rules you have to abide by.

But what, you might ask, do I wear to stand out at a tailgate?

No need to worry, I’ve got you covered. Seeing as it’s early in the week, you have plenty of time to make one of these looks possible.

Option No. 1: Candy-Striped Overalls

You’re not a true Hoosier until you’ve sported the signature cream and crimson candy stripes over at the stadium.

Pair overalls with a tank top or bandeau underneath for a whimsical ensemble that differs from the typical cut-off jean shorts and Indiana tank.

Throw a baseball cap on to complete the look — a cute accessory and the perfect way to cover up any bad hair days.

Option No. 2: DIY Crop Top

For those of you who are a little more on the crafty side, invest in a plain T-shirt, some paint and a pair of scissors to create your own top for Saturday’s big games.

With fringe and crop tops popping up everywhere these past few months, I decided to try out the summer trend and cut my shirt.

Accent the crimson of the IU symbol with red shorts and an eye-catching headband. I chose combat boots to create a hard and soft contrast and to even out the color scheme.

Option No. 3: Classic IU Jersey

Looking to save some time and keep it simple? An IU jersey and a pair of leggings or jeans never fail, but try giving them an extra “oomph” of Hoosier pride with tattoos from the bookstore or a crimson lip.

If you’re feeling especially spirited, grab a sweatband and Indiana athletic socks to match.

Take these three easy ideas and jump start your tailgate season.

Try them all. With several components to each, you can continue to mix and match the pieces to create the illusion of several different outfits.