Roberson’s departure leaves backup role open

This past year, quarterbacks Nate Sudfeld and Tre Roberson competed for the top spot in IU’s offense, splitting starts during the 2013 season.

Throughout the spring this season, neither had emerged as the obvious choice.

IU Coach Kevin Wilson announced Wednesday Roberson has decided to transfer from IU.

Roberson started four games in 2013 and appeared in all 12. He threw for 1,128 yards and 15 touchdowns, while adding 423 rushing yards.

Roberson’s departure leaves the back-up position up for grabs.

Incoming freshman Zander Diamont and sophomore Nate Boudreau look to be top contenders for that spot.

Diamont, a 6-foot-1 Los Angeles native, was a three-year starter at Venice High School. He threw for 3,501 yards and 47 touchdowns in his career, setting career records for Venice High School in passing yardage and touchdowns.

Among numerous honors, Diamont was named to the 2014 USA Football Under-19 National Team.

Boudreau, a 6-foot-3 walk-on, made his collegiate debut in the past season after redshirting in 2012. He appeared in games against Indiana State and Bowling Green.

Wilson might also look to redshirt junior Max Matthews, who has seen limited collegiate playing time.

A Granger, Ind., native, Matthews was a part of Saint Joseph High School’s state runner-up team in 2010. He played his freshman year of college at North Central College in Naperville, Ill., appearing in two games.

After transferring to IU, Matthews was forced to sit out the 2012 season because of NCAA transfer rules and did not play in 2013.

The past season’s opening day starter wasn’t announced until just hours before kickoff against Indiana State, so the timetable for announcing Sudfeld’s backup this season is unclear.

Grace Palmieri