Best study spots

Study time

Choosing where to study in Bloomington means knowing how you like to study. 

Group thinkers don’t have much fun in quiet locations, and wallflowers can be terrified by the sheer size of the Herman B Wells Library. 

Knowing who you are, or just how you like to absorb information, will make life easier when crunch time rolls around.

1. The dorms 

Your humble bedroom is the “square one” of freshman year. Everything you do — eat, sleep, get into arguments — will happen in this cubic room. It takes a perfectionist to study here without distraction. 

Pros: If you’re the sort of left-brained, organizational wizard who can’t be distracted, no matter what, then crack open a soda and get going. You don’t have to travel far, and you’re always near snacks in your dorm room.

Cons: Your neighbors might not always be so courteous. It might be study time for you, but it could always be Metallica time for them.

2. Herman B Wells Library

It is the Ellis Island of study time. Herman welcomes his students to the library lobby like the Statue of Liberty: “Bring me your tired, your huddled masses...”

The Wells Library, which stretches to the skies near 10th and Jordan streets, is the standard in IU academics. It’s not uncommon to see this place filled during midterms. Group projects flock here as a central campus meeting point, yet there are hundreds of computers for individual students in need of software resources, 24 hours a day.

Pros: There’s a food court, air-conditioning and one of the largest library stacks in the nation ready to facilitate your learning.

Cons: It’s a booming, brutalist building filled with strangers. Come with caffeine and a can-do attitude. 

3. Local coffeeshops

Bloomington has its fair share of local coffeeshops stocked with Wi-Fi and great music. What each shop will provide you, however, can vary. Some patrons might be there solely to gawk or play music.

Pros: Great organic coffee, supporting local business, a caffeine buzz like you wouldn’t believe.

Cons: The off-chance your study night is “Bohemian Music Open Mic Cavalcade.”  

4. Monroe County Public Library 

The MCPL is an often under-utilized resource of the Bloomington community. Located on the intersection of Kirkwood and Grant streets, this library is significantly quieter and easier to navigate than Wells. It’s also a short walk from the Sample Gates. 

Pros: The clandestine “reading room” is an introvert’s paradise. 

Cons: Located far away from dorms.

5. Outside

IU’s campus is a picturesque haven of meadows and trees. Take the time to disappear. 

Dunn Meadow is a place for socializing and discussion, but the Arboretum can easily be mistaken for a Shangri-La. Grab a towel and your textbooks, because this campus is a giant study lounge under the sun (winter excluded).

Pros: Working on a suntan, vitamin D, improved mood

Cons: Wasps, errant frisbees