Venue opens summer community memento exhibit

When one-third of Bloomington’s population moves away for the summer months, community shops remain open.

The Venue Fine Art & Gifts is opening one more exhibit before the summer begins and is offering keepsakes for Bloomington residents and IU students to take wherever they are traveling, owner Gabriel Colman said.

“Bloomington is Beautiful” opened May 2 and will remain on display until May 15.

“When I travel, if I can get a piece of art that can remind me of that living experience, I’ll do that,” Colman said. “It offers an opportunity for them to buy something to remind them of Bloomington and the beauty of the place.”

Community members can come into the gallery to view the artwork before leaving Bloomington or they can purchase a piece to take with them.

The keepsakes range from $10 to $5,000 and include paintings, prints, wood turnings, ceramics, stained glass, cards and pens.

The paintings feature iconic Bloomington locations such as the Sample Gates, the Monroe County Courthouse, Showalter Fountain and
others.

One item the Venue offers is a children’s book titled, “The Fish on the Dome.”

The book tells the story of two kids who are lazily sitting on a couch all day. The mythological fish on the courthouse comes and tells them to get off the couch, taking them on a journey around Bloomington.

Colman said it is a neat keepsake for Bloomington residents because it shows each iconic place of the city.

The Venue has been in business for six years. During that time, it has commissioned various artists to create paintings, prints and other locally crafted objects. Colman said many times these objects evoke the spirit of Bloomington in one way or another.

“I think coming to look at the art will point out how picturesque our community is,” Colman said. “And it’s nice to have pleasant reminders of Bloomington with you.”