New artistic director for Bloomington Symphony Orchestra

entBSODirector

By Anthony Broderick
aebroder@indiana.edu
@aebrodakirck

Musician Adam Bodony will head Bloomington’s community orchestra, the Bloomington Symphony Orchestra, as its new artistic director
July 1.

Having previously played for the Symphony, he received wide praise for his ability to collaborate, lead, commit and play with everyone, so the symphony’s board enthusiastically offered Bodony the position, Board President Carl Weinberg said in a press release.

“I feel very honored having been hired as the new artistic director of the Bloomington Symphony,” Bodony said. “An orchestra like this is special with how the musicians are diverse and have a seemingly insatiable attitude for the highest quality of music–making, the board is supportive and motivated, and the community treasures the organization.”

He will make his conducting debut with the Bloomington Symphony on Sept. 27 for the Symphony’s first season concert.

This concert will feature him conducting Mozart’s Symphony No. 40.

Many of the members on the symphony’s board were highly impressed with Bodony’s qualifications.

Donna Lafferty, Bloomington Symphony Orchestra executive director, said she was completely sold by Bodony’s skills as both a musician and a person having collaborated with him before in past concerts.

“Adam’s got all of the attributes we were looking for in a new artistic director,” Lafferty said.

“He has administrative experience, he’s incredibly musical, and he’s committed to being with the Orchestra over the long haul, so we’ll be able to grow together, make long-term plans for improvement and have him with us as we see them to fruition.”
There were 62 candidates considered for the artistic director position, and Lafferty said she felt Bodony was the best qualified since he was the most invested in getting things done right.

“He asked the most questions, he followed up right away when we needed more information, and he was always very responsive and professional in his communications,” Lafferty said. “I got the feeling that some of the other candidates were just looking for any conducting job, but I felt very strongly that Adam wanted to work with this orchestra.”

Bodony is currently an executive director and conductor at Indiana’s New World Youth Orchestras.

He began training in conducting when he was 22. He received his bachelor’s degree from DePauw University and his master’s degree from IU for trombone performance.
In 2013, Bodony was awarded with the Beckman Emerging Artist Award given by the Arts Council of Indianapolis for his exceptional talent and promise in the music field.

The Bloomington Symphony will also have a reception at 6 p.m. June 14 at the Atrium at City Hall to formally introduce Bodony to the public.

Bodony said he is thrilled to take up the artistic director position and is planning on bringing his own personal style of music–making to the symphony orchestra.

“I’m interested in the orchestra playing at a very high level of independence and freedom, both amongst themselves and from me,” Bodony said.

“I’ve always found that the most magical music–making comes from when we can all enter into this gray area together, when we’re not really sure who’s leading the musical charge.

“This is the sort of musical environment I hope to foster.”