Monday, March 18

student life

LFB album to be released Wednesday, Fox to sing

Union Board’s “Live from Bloomington” will release its first album since 2010 today.

The 2014 album is a compilation of songs by local artists, mostly IU students.

LFB Director Connor Foy said she and other directors decided local music should have a greater voice in Bloomington.

“So why not bring it back and why not bring it back in full force?” Foy, said.

For the first time ever, they have added a “Best of Live from Bloomington” album, too.

There are 30 songs altogether in the disc set.

Foy said that although last year’s LFB director did most of the work with this year’s album, he still wanted to be personally involved.

That’s when they decided to make a second album. Foy and his assistant directors looked through all the songs from the past 25 years and formed a list of the best.

“I thought it’d be a really cool thing to make it more of a hyped release,” Foy said. “If we haven’t done it in four years, we should release a double album. That’s never been done before.”

Creating an annual album became a tradition in 1986 but was discontinued because of people not wanting to purchase music, Foy said.

Since the beginning, all proceeds from album sales have gone to Hoosier Hills Food Bank, and will this year, as well.

The album release will coincide with Wednesday’s Gallery Evening Music Series featuring IU’s Bryce Fox.

Fox is best known for his song “This is Indiana.” He is now working as a songwriter for artists such as Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj and Rihanna.

“(Fox) released an EP of his own this summer, so we just figured it would fit really well just to bring him back to the Union and to have kind of a welcome home show for him,” Foy said.

The LFB album will be sold tonight at GEMS for $6. Foy said they pressed 150 copies, and he expects them to sell out.

Free Little 500 concert tickets have been randomly placed in six of the albums to add an extra incentive.

Follow reporter Grace Palmieri on Twitter @grace_palmieri.