arts performances

Lady Lamb performing at Bishop tonight

CAROUSELentBeekeeper

Musician Aly Spaltro, otherwise known as Lady Lamb the Beekeeper, began her career in an unusual place — a DVD shop.

Spaltro started writing and recording music late at night in Bart’s & Greg’s DVD Explosion in Brunswick, Maine, where she worked.

The solo project Lady Lamb the Beekeeper is Spaltro’s brainchild, cultivated and inspired on those late nights after closing up the store.

Lady Lamb the Beekeeper will perform at 9 p.m. today at the Bishop.

Tickets are $8 in advance and $10 at the door. Audience members must be at least 18 years old to attend.

As far as touring goes, Spaltro said, the other musicians are just friends who tour with her to help play the songs as they were recorded.

Spaltro has released records under Lady Lamb the Beekeeper since 2007. Last year, the Boston Music Awards presented her with the “Best Boston Artist Who Doesn’t Live In Boston” award.

Mackenzie Blake, an IU sophomore and intern for Spirit of ’68 Promotions, said she thinks Spaltro will create an interesting live show.

“I listened to some of her stuff,” she said. “It is really raw, and it is almost a little erratic at some points, which I think will make for a really interesting live show.”

Spirit of ’68 Promotions, which was founded by Dan Coleman, is designed to bring a diverse crowd of musicians, local and touring, to Bloomington.

According to the company’s website, one of their primary objectives is to “bring the music to you, because distance and high gas prices shouldn’t be a barrier to hearing great music.”

Lady Lamb the Beekeeper, Blake said, is going to perform a good show because of the intimate setting the Bishop offers coinciding with the rawness of Spaltro’s style.

“You can clearly tell she is not holding back,” Blake said.