sports softball

IU to host final Big Ten series

With the Big Ten Tournament two weeks away, the IU softball team (14-33-1, 4-13) will play the final home conference series of the regular season against Iowa (13-25-1, 6-11).

The season is nearing its conclusion, and IU senior shortstop Breanna Saucedo said preparing for games has become an emotional experience.

“Getting ready for games has become more mental than anything,” Saucedo said. “Knowing that I’m closing in on my last game here makes it difficult.”

The Hoosiers and Hawkeyes are battling for seeding in the tournament, with Iowa holding a two-game lead over IU in the current standings.

Iowa has a 1-2-1 record since sweeping No. 11 Missouri in a double-header last week, including a 6-6 tie Wednesday against in-state rival Iowa State.

Senior pitcher Kayla Massey leads an Iowa pitching staff with a cumulative earned run average of 3.80, which is the fifth highest in the conference.

Individually, Massey has the ninth lowest ERA in the Big Ten with 2.61.

They will be matched up with an IU offense that drove in eight runs in a midweek victory against Louisville.

Saucedo was an anchor for Indiana’s scoring, batting 4-for-4 with an RBI and one run scored.

IU Coach Michelle Gardner also praised Saucedo for her defensive effort Wednesday, a game in which she recorded seven assisted outs.

“Bre Saucedo was amazing for us (Wednesday)” Gardner said. “She was the savior of the game.”

Freshman first baseman CaraMia Tsirigos and sophomore second baseman Kassi Farmer also played a large role in the output against Louisville.

Farmer hit 2-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored, while Tsirigos went 1-for-3, including a key two-run home runin the third inning.

Since returning to the lineup April 11, Tsirigos is batting .280 with two home runs and four RBIs.

“I’ve been seeing the ball really well lately,” Tsirigos said. “I’ve been feeling good. I’m still not 100 percent but I’m working everyday to get there.”

IU’s pitching staff, led by junior Lora Olson, will be matched up against one of the conference’s worst offenses.

Olson pitched four shutout innings in Wednesday’s victory, allowing just two hits while walking two batters.

Olson credits her performance to a strong defensive outing, specifically from the IU infield, and mixing up her pitches.

Iowa’s team batting average of .245 is the second lowest the conference has to offer, and the team’s 116 hits rank last.

In addition, Iowa leads the conference in strikeouts with 229.

Hawkeyes junior infielder Megan Blank has provided a spark for the offense all season, leading the team in batting average, slugging percentage, hits, extra base hits and RBIs.

Olson said the team is going to have to continue to stay disciplined on defense and hit productively when runners are in scoring position in order to be successful.

“We’ve been getting better each game,” Olson said. “We need to stick with our game plan and play Indiana softball. As long as we stay confident in our abilities, play good defense and string together hits we will be successful.”