Burlesque performance promotes sex health

CAROUSELcaBurlesque

When the lights went out at Tuesday night’s burlesque show, the audience erupted into catcalls.

Hoots and hollers — and the occasional “Oh, baby!” — filled the room as seven dancers took the stage in Willkie Auditorium, where more than 250 students and locals came to see “Burlesque: After Dark.”

Burlesque is a performance genre that combines many art forms. Performances include music, choreography, costumes and comedy to create social messages regarding sexuality. Sexploration at IU and Sexual Health Advocacy Group sponsored the show, which brought in famous burlesque performers from throughout the Midwest.

“Tonight’s show has a sampling of a variety of modern day burlesque including modern dance, vocalists, pop-culture homages, vintage striptease acts and comedy,” said producer Tessa von Twinkle, who preferred to go by her stage name.

Erin Adams, a graduate student majoring in public health and member of Sexploration at IU, said the show was meant to start a conversation.

“The goal of the program is to promote sex positive attitudes and behaviors on the IU Campus as well as the Bloomington community,” Adams said.

Burlesque has pushed the boundaries and promoting sexual exploration for many
years.

“Burlesque performers report feeling empowered and affirmed through dance, and bringing this performance to IU will open a dialogue within the community about sexual empowerment,” Adams said.

The acts consisted of male and female performers singing songs filled with innuendos, a sensual French maid and a humorous shower scene filled with anticipation from the
audience.

The show was emceed by Lola van Ella from St. Louis, who kept the audience laughing as she introduced each act. She educated the audience about the origins of burlesque and encouraged them to consensually perform sex acts on fellow audience members during intermission.

“My hope is that all who witness the show will be inspired by the body and sex positive message that burlesque brings forth,” Tessa said. “We are all sexual beings, and it’s okay to acknowledge and confront that fact.”