men's basketball

In the rematch, IU will fall

This IU season has been like an all-too-predictable movie starring Sandra Bullock and Hugh Grant.

The Hoosiers get up for the big games when teams have a number in front of their name — like No. 3 Wisconsin, No. 10 Michigan, No. 20 Iowa and No. 22 Ohio State — and come out flat against teams they arguably have equal or a greater amount of talent than — Northwestern, Penn State and twice, Nebraska.

Expect to see a repeat episode from a previous edition of this IU basketball season Saturday.

When IU (17-14, 7-11) travels to Ann Arbor, Mich., to play the Big Ten Champion Michigan Wolverines (22-7, 14-3) at 6 p.m. Saturday, IU fans have seen this particular scenario play out before this season.

IU knocked off then-No. 3 Wisconsin at home. Then IU traveled to the Kohl Center and fell in the rematch after Wisconsin scored 50 second-half points.

So with the help of an excellent Assembly Hall crowd, IU knocked off a Big Ten giant. But away from home, the young Hoosiers were overmatched.

Expect more of the same against Michigan.

In the first go-round with these teams, Kevin “Yogi” Ferrell donned a Superman cape and played out of his mind on both ends of the floor.

He was 7-for-8 from behind the arc, and made Wolverine star Nik Stauskas a complete non-factor — Stauskas scored one basket. It was a virtuoso performance that made me write an “Ode to Yogi Ferrell” column after the game.

But both the Wolverines and Hoosiers are different teams. Michigan is really, really good, in case you haven’t noticed. The Wolverines eviscerated Illinois for the Big Ten crown in their last game.

In the Hoosiers’ last game, they put together a poor performance against Nebraska on senior night.

Michigan is too good. But most of all, IU won’t have the comfort of playing in Assembly Hall.

The only chance IU has is if Michigan takes its foot off the gas pedal because it already clinched the Big Ten crown. But I don’t see this Wolverine team doing that.

College basketball isn’t like professional sports. You don’t sit your players or alter your mindset when you clinch a postseason berth. Michigan is still playing for a high seed come dancing time.

They won’t let this inconsistent Hoosier team get in their way.

Expect to see Michigan Coach John Beilein make adjustments to slow down Ferrell. The sophomore point guard won’t get to wear his Superman cape for a second time around.

Plus, throw in the foot injury for Noah Vonleh, and who knows if IU will even have the proper horses to compete against the Wolverines. Even though a horse would probably beat a Wolverine in a fight, these Hoosiers will be maimed by Michigan.

IU ends their regular season on a two-game skid as they look to make a miracle run in the Big Ten tournament next week.

Prediction: Michigan 78, IU 67

Evan Hoopfer is 12-8 in predictions this year.