IU defeats No. 20 Iowa 93-86

CAROUSELIUBBvsIowa

After a wild first half that saw both teams combine for 101 points, the IU men’s basketball team rode a career-high 30 points from senior wing Will Sheehey to a 93-86 against the No. 20 Iowa Hawkeyes.

After Iowa opened up the second half on a 7-2 run, the Hoosiers, led in part by 3-pointers from Will Sheehey and Evan Gordon, reclaimed the lead.

After Iowa retook the lead 66-64 off a Melsahn Basabe layup, the Hoosiers came right back. After Ferrell missed a layup, freshman forward Devin Davis grabbed the rebound and went up for a layup, making the shot and getting fouled in the process.

On its next possession, sophomore guard Jonny Marlin swung an outlet pass to graduate student Evan Gordon, who, with his left hand, tossed a fading layup over Iowa’s 7’0 center Adam Woodbury to extend IU’s lead to 69-66.

After two Aaron White free throws, senior wing Will Sheehey broke his career high in points with a baseline jumper to give the Hoosiers a 71-68 edge.

IU continued its run, with a Robinson drive to the baseline, layup, plus the foul and he made the free throw. Hoosiers led 77-69.

Iowa began to cut into IU’s lead, as Roy Devyn Marble and Woodbury made three of four free throw’s, cutting the lead to 77-72.

The Hawkeyes’ hot shooting eventually cooled off, and they struggled to score late. As IU pulled away, it was Sheehey who delivered the final blow.

Ferrell threw an outlet pass to Sheehey, who had somehow gotten past the defense. Sheehey caught the ball in stride and went up for a two-handed slam dunk, giving IU an 82-73 lead with less than two minutes to play.

Free throws would take over the game the final minute, and the Hoosiers would hit enough to hold off the now-faltering Hawkeyes.

Andy Wittry