Fundraising event benefits pregnancy crisis center

ciBabyShower

The St. Charles Catholic Church organized its second-annual fundraiser event Sunday for the Crisis Pregnancy Center of Bloomington and Hannah House Maternity Home.

Money raised will pay for supplies given to mothers and families by the center, child birth educator Brandy Krebbs said.

The center provides various types of parenting classes, counseling and tests for mothers and fathers, as well as services for children while parents receive assistance.

St. Charles member Rose Thomas came up with the idea for last year’s fundraiser, which raised approximately $1,300, said Ann Collins, director of development of the Crisis Pregnancy Center and Hannah House.

“St. Charles is one of our biggest contributors,” Collins said. \

At the fundraiser, attendees donated money and gifts for children and parents assisted by the pregnancy center.

Students of St. Charles school and accordion-piano duo Lou and Lenny Newman performed musical pieces for guests.

Food and flowers for the event were donated by Kroger, and church members made desserts.

Krebbs said some supplies are free to parents, but others must be purchased or earned by attending classes.

For example, parents who attend the center’s class on safe sleeping, which teaches parents how to have their child rest to avoid sudden infant death syndrome, earn a free pack-and-play pin and bassinet.

After taking other classes, parents can earn baby bucks to purchase other supplies from the center, Krebbs said.

“It means more to people when they work for it,” Krebbs said.

The Crisis Pregnancy Center and the Hannah House plan fundraisers throughout the year, Collins said. These include a radio telethon in April, walks, runs and a gala.

Some of the supplies the center gives out include bottles, high chairs, formula and diapers.

Thomas, a member of St. Charles Catholic Church for 15 years, said she came up with the idea after she visited the church her daughter attends in Maryland, which had a similar event.

She said she expected about 50 people to attend last year. Instead, about 100 people turned out. 

“It’s a terrific thing,” Thomas said. “We have the best location in town.”

Thomas said she was glad to help save lives by helping the organization.

Collins expressed her thanks during an address to attendees.

“We appreciate you coming out and celebrating life with you today,” Collins said.

Follow reporter Emily Ernsberger on Twitter @emilyernsberger.