Skip to Content, Navigation, or Footer.
Wednesday, June 19
The Indiana Daily Student

campus administration

LIVE UPDATES: Scenes from the third day of Gaza protest, encampment on IU campus


For more recent coverage of the encampment, check out LIVE UPDATES: Scenes from day 9 of Gaza encampment, campus protests

7:30 p.m. in Dunn Meadow 

A group of about 65 people gathered across Campus River by the trees behind Franklin Hall for a poetry reading. People sat on the grass while listening to poets share pieces they have written one at a time. The sun started to set behind the trees and there were quiet moments where all one could hear was the speaker and birds chirping. On the other side of Campus River, protesters continued to chant. In another part of Dunn Meadow, students played volleyball.

6:15 p.m. in Dunn Meadow 

Around 70 protestors joined hands and started to do a Middle Eastern cultural dance called Dabke. The dance consists of a repeated two-step and a stop, freshman Malik Arab said. Arab led the group holding a Palestinian flag. Doing this dance today is a way for them to uplift their spirits, he said. 

“After so many of us got arrested today, just trying to regroup and reorganize,” Arab said.  

Refugees in Gaza have been doing the dance, he said.

5:25 p.m. at the Musical Arts Center 

Nearly 40 people marched to the Musical Arts Center from Dunn Meadow to protest what they said was a donor’s dinner.  

“Disclose, divest. We will not stop, we will not rest,” they chanted. “Not another nickel, not another dime. No more money for Israel’s crimes.” 

Multiple others joined the march as they made their way across the campus. Two girls high-fived protesters, joining in the chants as they passed. 

Upon arrival, protesters pushed into the MAC doors, attempting to enter. Event organizers pushed back from the other side. Two protesters made it a step inside before being pushed out. Eventually, a woman held the door open, standing in the doorway to block protesters from entering. A yellow-vested security officer soon replaced her. 

People dressed for a black-tie event could be seen through the MAC’s windows. They smiled and took pictures with each other, ignoring protesters passing by chanting and holding signs. Some protesters banged on windows but stopped when another protester warned them this could be construed as vandalism. They made their way around the front of the building, chanting at multiple entrances. 

An IU police car pulled up at 5:32 p.m., sirens wailing. Protesters left almost immediately. Four cars and seven officers were on the scene. 

IUPD officers said they were called based on a report that protesters were trying to break inside the building. They planned to secure the building and maintain patrols around, one officer said. 

5:07 p.m. on sidewalk on Seventh Street 

Protesters’ attention went to Bryce Greene, one of the leaders of the encampment and graduate advisor of the IU Palestine Solidarity Committee, walking up the sidewalk along Dunn Meadow and Seventh Street. Greene was handed a megaphone from the crowd and started chanting “free Palestine” and “stand up fight back.” A few of the protesters went up to Greene to ask him about his arrest. He told them about his hands being zip tied and being taken to the stadium. 

In an interview with the IDS, Greene said his trespass warning, which he was given after a criminal trespass arrest, was dated for a one-year ban from April 27, 2024 to April 28, 2025, but after he asked them to misdate it like they did with another arrested protester, Barbara Dennis, they changed the one-year ban to a five-year ban, until April 28, 2029.  

“Certainly going to appeal and then see how that goes,” he said. “Hopefully that'll get reversed or amended in some way, but if not, well then, I'll just make different plans.” 

Since Dennis’ trespass warning was misdated, she is banned from campus from April 25, 2024 to April 25, 2024. In less than 20 minutes, Greene left the area. 

3:20 p.m. in Dunn Meadow 

A crowd of nearly 100 remained in Dunn Meadow following the arrest of 23 protesters earlier this afternoon. They set up seven tents. 

IU alumnus Tom Sweeney, who was arrested during the April 8 protest, announced over megaphone that the encampment plans to stay tonight and through the weekend. 

Suspended professor Abdulkader Sinno also spoke over the megaphone.  

The protesters had supplies on hand, including cases of water bottles and trash cans, and they were seen passing around food. 

Cars continued to drive by honking, garnering cheers from the remaining encampment.  

Four IUPD officers stood near North Fess Avenue. 

Several students from Indiana State University came to IU’s protest to show their support. Political science and legal studies major Mason Livers said he hopes to bring protests back to their campus. 

“I go to a state school and I pay tuition to state school, so I feel like I'm actively complicit in it because I chose to go to that school,” Livers said. 

Editor’s Note: Tom Sweeney is a former member of the Indiana Daily Student staff. 

3:15 p.m. at Monroe County Jail 

The first arrested protester released from Monroe County Jail wore a white keffiyeh and a torn white shirt. He said the police ripped his shirt while they were arresting him. 

“They wanted to make me look like a criminal,” he said. “I hope you all think I look like a criminal.” 

He was released without bond after being detained in the jail for about 90 minutes. All other protesters were also released later. They were arrested on charges ranging from criminal trespass to resisting law enforcement. Several were additionally banned from IU’s campus for one year, following the precedent set after the same punishment was given to protesters arrested Thursday.  

One student was banned from IU Bloomington’s campus for five years.  

The crowd outside the jail started to disperse before the first arrested protester was released. Tom Sweeney, who was arrested April 8 while protesting in support of Palestine, directed protesters to return to Dunn Meadow. 

“Everyone who’s not banned from campus, we have a job to do,” he said. “It’s called reclaiming free speech on campus.”

1:50 p.m. at Monroe County Jail 

The bus carrying 23 arrested protesters from Dunn Meadow arrived at the jail to a crowd of more than 20 other protesters chanting “Let them go!” 

The crowd outside the jail started out small. The first four to arrive were friends of Aidan Khamis, president of the Palestine Solidarity Committee and a leading organizer of the encampment.  

Khamis was arrested Saturday as part of the police raid on the Dunn Meadow encampment. A close friend of his who asked not to be named said that Khamis intended to comply with police to avoid arrest.  

“He’s a very passionate person, but he knows he’s needed there as president,” the friend said.  

PSC graduate advisor Bryce Greene was also arrested, along with 21 other protesters at Dunn Meadow.  

At the jail, a group who marched from the meadow met some of the protesters who were arrested Thursday and banned from campus.  

The bus of arrested protesters pulled into an alley beside the jail, guarded by police vehicles and officers holding riot shields. The arrested protesters cheered through the window at the crowd, who cheered back at them.  

The size of the crowd outside the jail continued growing for the next half hour, approaching 50 people or more. A couple protesters brought pots and pans, banging them together in the rhythm of the chants of “Let them go” and “Free, free Palestine.”  

At 2:21 p.m., the Monroe County Sheriff’s Department officers between the protesters and the jail fell back and were replaced with Indiana State Police officers clad in riot gear.  

“Y’all are cowards,” one protester shouted at police. 

Among the protesters, some IU faculty members looked on and chanted with the group.  

Katie Edmonds, an assistant scientist in IU’s chemistry department, said she got involved after seeing video of grad students she worked with being beaten by a police officer at Thursday’s protest.  

“They weren’t doing anything more than standing by tents,” she said.  

Much of IU faculty has been disgruntled with President Pamela Whitten’s leadership, giving an overwhelming vote of no confidence in Whitten on April 16. Faculty members have also been present at the protests for the past few days in support of their students.  

“Whitten’s response was completely offensive,” Edmonds said.  

10 minutes after the heavily armed officers arrived, protesters sat on the ground in front of them holding up peace signs.  

“We’re unarmed,” one of the protesters said. “Are you that scared of us?” 

1:25 p.m. on Seventh Street 

An Indiana State Police officer said, “Indiana University requested our assistance.” They were told to remove the tents and move protesters past the encampments for Indiana University to come in and “enforce their policy,” according to the officer. Multiple officers said they would not take food and water, but officers inside the encampment were seen pouring out gallons of water and putting food in black bags. Other officers said they were taking everything except the medic’s bag. An officer said anyone who is looking for things the police took can call IUPD’s non-emergency phone number, 812-855-4111, to set up an appointment to pick up their things. 

1:20 p.m. in Dunn Meadow 

Police started backing out of Dunn Meadow. They got on an Indiana University bus and left the area. Many onlookers on Seventh Street thanked the Indiana State Police troopers while protesters chanted and celebrated. 

1:17 p.m. in Dunn Meadow 

State Senator Shelli Yoder and Bloomington City Council member Sydney Zulich were in Dunn Meadow when Indiana State Police and IU Police moved in on the encampment. 

“I hear the concern that students feel unheard,” Yoder said. “I want to say I stand with students, stand for the protection of free speech. I also want to say, look at what they are doing. They are affecting change throughout this country. So, it is a powerful statement, and we must support the freedom of speech and their ability to assemble and proclaim what they are demanding. We heard about it because it’s what you are hearing be cried out campus to campus, street to street throughout this country.” 

Yoder said she learned that IU administration asked Bloomington Police Department to not be involved in the clearing of the encampment so state police could handle it. State troopers on the scene told protesters and IDS reporters that IU had called for ISP support to remove the tents. 

“That action certainly elevated and escalated the response," Yoder said. "So here we have this — it is terrifying to see. And I cannot imagine how students feel seeing this on their campus right now when, where they're coming from, is exercising their free speech.” 

12:19 p.m. in Dunn Meadow

At least 60 Indiana State Police armed with riot shields, batons and other riot gear — and several IU Police officers — walked to Dunn Meadow from Woodlawn Avenue.  

At around 12:20 p.m., an IUPD officer gave a warning to protesters — many of whom stayed in the meadow overnight — that those arrested would be charged with trespassing and banned from campus and that they needed to immediately remove and vacate all tents within ten minutes.  

Some protesters left and took down tents, but some structures remained. The remaining protesters locked arms in front of the structures. 

At around 12:33 p.m., the officer issued another warning.

Officers began advancing around 12:35 p.m. in a line of riot shields. 

Once reaching the encampment and line of protesters, officers began pushing forward using their riot shields and shoving protesters back. 

ISP and IUPD officers arrested several protesters, including one of the encampment’s leaders, Bryce Greene. The IDS cannot yet confirm the total number arrested. 

After pushing protesters off the encampment, ISP and IUPD formed a line with riot shields so the encampment could be cleared. Protesters re-formed in lines while police took down the tents and also linked arms again, bracing for what looked at the time to be another advance by officers who started encircling the protesters. 

A few protesters walked up to the sidewalk and began arguing with onlookers on Seventh Street. Many onlookers were cheering and thanking the police. Other onlookers chanted "fascists," "go home, pigs" and other derogatory jeers.

At around 1:20 p.m., police pulled back from Dunn Meadow with the encampment cleared, and protesters followed them out. They cheered as police walked up the stairs toward the intersection at Seventh Street and Woodlawn Avenue. 

Around 11:50 a.m. inside IMU Student Involvement Tower  

Two Indiana State Troopers were seen going up the stairs in the Student Involvement Tower in the IMU. They were also there yesterday. The troopers have been seen on the roof of the IMU every day since Thursday, when the pro-Palestinian protest and encampment began in Dunn Meadow.

9:50 a.m. 

Following one full day of no police interference in the encampment, IU shared this message on social media:  

“IU encourages and respects free speech, including the right to peacefully protest and demonstrate,” it read. “Consistent with university policy, the installation of temporary structures requires advanced approval and camping is not allowed overnight. IU students, faculty, staff and visitors are expected to comply with both university policy and state law. Students are held accountable to the Student Code of Conduct. These policies are in place to safeguard the IU community.” 

Editor’s note: The photo of Bryce Greene’s trespass warning was redacted to hide Greene’s address and protect his privacy.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this story misstated what time protesters were released from jail.

Get stories like this in your inbox