Relationship counselors speak at Venue event

Bret and Christine Eartheart presented “Art of Thriving Relationships” Tuesday night at the Venue Fine Art & Gifts.

Married for 11 years, the couple demonstrated the poisons and goals people deal with and should strive for while engaged in a relationship.

In the gallery, stuffed full of sculptures and paintings, a small gathering of Bloomington residents listened and nodded along to the couple’s PowerPoint presentation.

“A relationship is like a garden,” Christine said. “It is always growing or dying. It always needs tending to it.” 

Bret and Christine pointed out key factors of an unsatisfactory marriage or
relationship, such as defensiveness and secret holding.

The Earthearts founded the Center for Thriving Relationships in January 2013. At the center, they lead and counsel people as Certified Conscious Loving Coaches.

Working with community members through social work, therapy and counseling as individual professionals, the Earthearts decided to combine their forces and exhibit their work on healthy relationships during retreats, festivals and conferences
together.

The Venue, owned by Dave and Gabe Colman, is a regular meeting place for local Bloomington shows and projects.

Dave Colman said there are a wide range of presentations every Tuesday night. On Fridays new shows and openings are introduced.

The first event organized by the Venue in 2014, members of the Bloomington community who were in relationships attended alongside those who weren’t, interested in both the speakers and topic presented.

Sally, who wished to not give her last name, but is a long-time occupant of Bloomington, said she came to the show tonight out of curiosity about the Earthearts.

“I have not seen them and our paths have not crossed, so I was curious about them,” she said. “And I am curious about relationships. Partly because I’m in one and I want it to go well.”