crime & courts

Police arrest student for explosive materials

CAROUSELExplosives

Bond is set at $1 million for the IU student who was arrested Wednesday on the preliminary charge of attempted manufacturing of an explosive device.

Ryder Pickens, a 20-year-old who lives on the 400 block of Varsity Lane, is being held at Monroe County Jail. His bail review hearing is set for Jan. 29.

Pickens had chemicals and equipment that could be used to create explosives at his residence, according to a press release from the Bloomington Police Department.

Investigators also found searches relating to weapons of mass destruction and the effects of certain chemical weapons on Pickens’ computer.

Police were first notified of suspicious activity by an acquaintance of Pickens on Jan. 16.

After an argument between Pickens and his parents, his parents contacted one of his friends to check on him. Pickens’ friend noticed chemicals and lab equipment in Pickens’ room and became concerned, because Pickens had prior suicidal tendencies, BPD Sgt. Joe Crider said.

BPD executed a search warrant Jan. 17 at Pickens’ residence and found several containers of chemicals and laboratory equipment.

Pickens admitted to possessing the equipment and chemicals but denied any attempt to create an explosive device.

He was subsequently transported by officers to the IU Health Hospital for immediate detention.

Police said it appears Pickens had lawfully purchased these items from an online vendor.

Later in the day, Jan. 17, police were called back to Pickens’ residence regarding the delivery of a suspicious package.

When a search warrant on the package was executed, it was found that it contained more laboratory equipment and several chemicals that explosive specialists identified as being able to produce an explosive.

Police examined Pickens’ computer Wednesday and found searches on explosives and chemical weapons.

Pickens was released from IU Health Hospital on Wednesday and taken into custody by BPD.

He was taken to the Monroe County Jail on the preliminary charge of attempted manufacturing of an explosive device.

Pickens was originally enrolled in IU in fall 2012. He is in University Division and previously worked at the School of Fine Arts, but he hasn’t worked there since August 2013, said Mark Land, IU associate vice president for media relations.

Investigators are focusing their efforts on identifying any potential motives, police said.

The case remains an active investigation.