Professional hockey returns to Indianapolis

After almost a decade of absence, professional hockey is returning to Indianapolis.

The owners of central Indiana’s new professional hockey franchise revealed its team name at the Indiana State Fairgrounds on Nov. 26.

Indy Fuel will compete at the newly renovated $64 million Coliseum starting in October 2014.

“We look forward to giving Hoosiers great hockey and a new choice for family entertainment,” Sean Hallett, franchise president and CEO, said in a press release. “Every winning tradition starts somewhere, and we’re starting today.”

Indy Fuel will join the ECHL, a premier “AA” league of the NHL where new talents are often noticed, according to the release. More than 500 previous East Coast Hockey League players have gone on to play in the NHL.

The Coliseum was originally built in 1939, and renovations began in October 2012. The renovations are expected to be complete by April 2014. The renovated Coliseum will include an 8,200-seat venue, a two-level seating bowl with a state-of-the-art scoreboard and sound system, new concessions and other renovations.

“The Indiana State Fair commission signed a lease agreement with the hockey team, and so we have a deal in place that accounts for a lot of their needs and provides us a steady revenue stream from the team,” said Andy Klotz, public relations director for the Indiana State Fairgrounds.

Morgan Greenlee, senior communications manager at Visit Indy, said the team will bring tourism to the city.

“It’s just a big economic draw for the city,” Greenlee said. “They are playing 36 home games across 23 teams in the ECHL, so it’s an opportunity for us to welcome fans from destinations that we really haven’t competed against yet in any sport.”

Greenlee said the hockey team will offer another opportunity for corporate partners to get involved.

“Indy Fuel has said that they want to be a big player in the community, and I think that will be another win-win for Indianapolis,” she said.

Greenlee said the fans who go out to restaurants, shopping and stay in hotel rooms will have an economic effect on the city.

“Anything that is going to bring in more people to the city from across the in-state or regional or outside of our region — teams coming into the city, that brings in businesses,” Greenlee said.

Follow reporter Alli Friedman on Twitter @afreedz.