IU to be challenged by Wisconsin, power running game

One-hundred-and-twenty-one to 21. That’s how much No. 22 Wisconsin has outscored IU in the two meetings between the schools since IU Coach Kevin Wilson took over the Hoosier football program.

The Badgers rushed 64 times for a school-record 564 yards and seven touchdowns en route to a 48-point victory in Bloomington last season.

“This is a team that has an overwhelming running game,” Wilson said.

Despite losing running back Montee Ball, who is second in career rushing yards at Wisconsin and a second round selection in the 2013 NFL draft, the Badgers returned Melvin Gordon and James White this year. The duo averaged nearly 12 yards per carry against the Hoosiers in 2012.

“They’ve been putting running backs after running backs after running backs for 15, 20 years,” Wilson said. “Nothing’s falling off ... it looks like a Wisconsin football team.”

The Badgers have a three-headed rushing attack that lacks a decline in production from one running back to the next.

Gordon and White have a combined total of 2,111 yards and 22 touchdowns on 293 carries. Freshman Corey Clement, Wisconsin’s third option out of the backfield, has had 407 yards and five touchdowns in six games this season.

Wilson said IU has to get defensive stops against the Badgers in order to have a chance to win.

“You’re not going to go up playing Wisconsin on your heels, hoping they have a bad game, hoping to get a call, hoping they get a turnover,” Wilson said.

Wilson said Wisconsin’s running attack is even more deadly because it sets up the play action pass.

“They’ve always had big linemen, great running game,” Wilson said. “Complement that with play action pass, tight end, fullback guys are outstanding players.”

Wilson said Wisconsin senior wide receiver Jared Abbrederis is as good as anyone at getting open.

“Their line is so good and their running game’s so good, then that helps him and makes him so good because he gets out there one on one,” Wilson said.

Abbrederis leads the Badgers with 54 receptions. Wisconsin’s second-leading wide receiver only has six catches this season.

“You have to have an idea of where he’s at on every snap,” IU Defensive Coordinator Doug Mallory said.

Wilson said IU’s defense will have to balance being patient and aggressive.

“If you sit there and play base and line it up, you got big guys and good tight ends and backs that are really patient and fast and experienced and well coached,” Wilson said. “They work on a schedule.”

However, if the Hoosiers are too aggressive, then they leave Wisconsin’s receivers with one-on-one matchups.

“I don’t know if you can win one-on-one all day without pressuring the quarterback’s face and think that you’re gonna be able to hold up on the perimeter every play,”
Mallory said. “You got to find ways to be able to adjust some of your coverages to give your corners some help.”

Wilson said the best way for IU to win is to put together a great plan and attack on Saturday.

“I’m looking forward to seeing where the team is,” Wilson said. “This is an
opportunity to show we’re ready to make the next stride.”

Follow reporter Andy Wittry on Twitter @AndyWittryIDS.