Vonleh, Williams expected back at practice this week

After a fateful move during the final five seconds of Friday night’s scrimmage during Hoosier Hysteria at Assembly Hall, the IU men’s basketball team has now had four of the team’s six scholarship freshmen go down with injuries during preparation for the 2013-14 season.

Forward Troy Williams (hand) and center Luke Fischer (shoulder) suffered their injuries during team activities prior to the start of official team practice and did not participate in the skills competitions or team scrimmage Friday.

After the scrimmage ended, with forward Noah Vonleh not participating and guard Stanford Robinson going down on his right knee, it was clear the Hoosiers lost two more stars during what IU Coach Tom Crean said is one of the most crucial parts of the season.

Here are the latest details on each of their injuries:

Stanford Robinson

Friday night, Crean told the media the early prognosis on Robinson was he had bruised his right knee. Crean did not yet have a timetable for his return.

Saturday evening, the team released a statement that the freshman guard “is beginning treatment, daily evaluation and will be out indefinitely.”

ESPN’s Jeff Goodman was at IU’s practice Sunday night and said then on Twitter that Robinson was likely out 7-10 days, and Crean tweeted Monday that Robinson was likely still two weeks away.

Noah Vonleh

Crean also told the media Friday night that Vonleh had suffered an ankle injury Wednesday during practice, and the team was taking his action easy as a precautionary measure.

Friday in practice, Vonleh only put up a few shots and competed in the 3-point competition that night, but was held out of the team scrimmage.

Goodman said Sunday that Vonleh should be ready to go for normal action for the Hoosiers’ next practice, and Crean said Monday on Twitter that Vonleh was getting healthier.

Troy Williams

Crean said Williams likely will be back in practice early this week after suffering a hand injury two weeks ago during a workout before official team practice. Crean again said Monday on Twitter that Williams would be back “in a limited role this week.”

Luke Fischer

Crean said Fischer will still be out for a few more weeks as he continues to nurse the left shoulder injury he suffered before official team practice while diving for a loose ball during a scrimmage.

— Nathan Brown