Food Tours highlights local eateries

ArtsBitesOfBloomington

There are countless restaurants in Bloomington, and a new company is trying to highlight the best of them.

Started last December by IU student Eric Martinez, Bites of Bloomington Food Tours takes participants to six food establishments to give them a taste of local cuisine.

“I want people to have the experience of trying a variety of foods in 3 1/2 hours,” he said.

Martinez said he began to explore new cuisine at the urging of his roommate.

“My roommate loved going out and trying places,” he said. “He took me out and got me out of my comfort zone, and I discovered new foods and restaurants.”

After taking a food tour in Chicago, Martinez said he got the idea to start one of his own.

He said he considered a few options before deciding on Bloomington.

“Bloomington was the perfect city,” Martinez said. “Everyone I’ve worked with has been really supportive.”

When deciding on tour stops, Martinez and Tiffany Hogan, an IU graduate who leads the tours, have very strict criteria. They said they only pick local locations that are distinct to Bloomington and serve consistent food with excellent customer
service.

“Sweet Claire Bakery is really unique because it’s the only place in town where you can get certain types of bread,” Martinez said.

Other stops include Turkuazcafe, Baked! of Bloomington, Uptown Cafe and Oliver Winery.

Many of the restaurant owners talk to the groups and answer questions about their establishments.

Hogan also leads guests on a walk through the IU campus and Kirkwood Avenue, where she stops to give background about local landmarks.

Martinez and Hogan said they did extensive research about the information presented on the tour.

Martinez said they also solicit feedback via online surveys, which they take seriously.

“We want to keep improving this experience,” he said. “And we plan to open a second tour route with brand new restaurants next year.”

For more information on Bites of Bloomington Food Tours, visit its website atbloomingtonfoodtours.com.

Follow reporter Rachel Osman on Twitter @rachosman.