Communion bands to perform

Artists from Communion — the acclaimed music label whose bands have featured at musical festivals like Bonnaroo — will play 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Bluebird Nightclub.

After their successful “Austin to Boston” 2012 tour, the Communion team is exploring a new venture, sending artists to multiple US cities.

According to a press release, Communion’s Bluebird show draws inspiration from a series of music and dance nights at the label’s birthplace, London’s Notting Hill. Those nights in London launched performances in 15 cities in the United Kingdom and United States before the Communion show made its way to Melbourne, Australia. 

One of the Communion performers is Willy Mason, a New York City-based singer/songwriter.

Mason has been in the industry since 2004 and recently performed with folk band Mumford & Sons.

Mason said he enjoys working with Communion because of the internal thrill.

“I guess the sense of excitement makes working together a pleasure,” Mason said. “It’s a new project that everyone’s putting so much care and attention into.”

Mason also said he appreciates Communion’s roots, starting from simple but elaborate underground performances and branching into an international, reputable indie label.

“One distinction is growing out of a club night and starting from the most essential point in music production and interaction, with the audience,” Mason said.”

With pleasing the audience in mind, Mason said he looks forward to his debut Bloomington performance.

“Everybody who talks about Bloomington always has something interesting to say about it, and I’m curious to see what they’re talking about,” Mason said.

Other Communion artists slated to appear tonight include Rubblebucket, a seven-piece band from Brooklyn, N.Y.

Rubblebucket experienced a busy year in 2012, landing a coveted spot at the music festival Bonnaroo and an appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live.

Also performing tonight is Roadkill Ghost Choir, founded in 2010 in DeLand, Fla., and influenced by the sounds of Wilco, Bob Dylan and Fleetwood Mac, according to the band’s website.

The group finished their debut EP, “Quiet Light,” with producer Dave Plakon. Mastered in Omaha, Neb., by Doug Van Sloun, “Quiet Light” was released Sept. 25, 2012.

Other musical acts Cosby Sweater, Yact Club DJ’s and New Old Cavalry round out the night’s lineup.

Follow reporter Olivia Williams on Twitter @obwillia.