politics

Bailey announces bid for U.S. House seat

CAROUSELciBailey

In front of Bloomington’s Social Security Administration building, one of the few federal services still open during the government shutdown, Democrat Bill Bailey announced Wednesday he will run for the United States House of Representatives in 2014.

A former Seymour, Ind., mayor, Bailey is the first Democrat to declare for the 9th District seat, which covers most of south-central Indiana including all of Monroe County and is currently occupied by Republican Rep. Todd Young.

“The country and future that my children and grandchildren seem destined to inherit are not as full of hope and opportunities as I enjoyed,” he said to a small group of journalists and local supporters.

Bailey said among his primary legislative priorities are supporting education, reducing unemployment and helping seniors through Social Security.

“Congress gives bazillions of dollars a year to people around the world, many of whom don’t even like us, and yet Congressman Young tries to increase the cost of a college education by raising the interest rates on Stafford loans,” he said.

More than a year out from the General Election, Bailey and Young are the only two candidates who have filed with the Federal Election Commission. Bailey filed his first paperwork with the FEC at the end of July. Young filed initial paperwork last November.

Bailey said he’s joining the race early so he can get ahead of the pack.

“It’s like starting on the inside lane in Churchill Downs,” Bailey said. “Anyone else who joins the race will have to catch up to me.”

A race against Young or another Republican wouldn’t come until after the Democratic primary election May 6, 2014. Right now, though, Young is focusing on his congressional responsibilities, not next year’s election, campaign spokesman Trevor
Foughty said in an email.

“Campaigning will come when it is appropriate, but now is the time to put politics aside to develop responsible solutions,” Foughty said. “While Rep. Young will likely seek reelection next year, he is currently focused on doing the job he was elected twice to do.”

Bailey and others at his announcement said they were concerned by the current government shutdown.

Dee Owens, who works for the Department of Health and Human Services in Washington, D.C., was declared non-essential personnel Monday. Going to work or even checking her email would be considered a felony, so she came home to Monroe County until she’s allowed to go back to work.

Owens said she hasn’t decided who to support in the primary because most candidates still haven’t declared their intention to run, but she has been displeased by the current Congress’s disagreements and the shutdown.

The Monroe County Democratic Party is gearing up for a fight. Chairman Trent Deckard said he thinks a Democrat could win the 9th District.

“Todd Young has done everything possible to not only make the 9th District competitive but to make it a Democratic pickup,” Deckard said.

The last Democrat to hold the 9th District seat was Baron Hill, who served five
non-consecutive terms in the House before Young unseated him in 2010 as part of the wave of Republican victories nationwide.

Young won again by a wide margin in 2012. Monroe County was one of just three counties where Democratic challenger Shelli Yoder beat him.

Now, Bailey thinks he’s up to the task.

“Members of Congress seem more interested and intent on finger pointing, political bickering and polarizing than governing,” Bailey said. “Like never before, we need a congressional representative who isn’t owing to extremist factions and is willing to work across the political aisle to get things done.”

Follow reporter Michael Auslen on Twitter @MichaelAuslen.