sports field hockey

Field hockey extends winning streak

spIUvRobert Morris

After losing its first two games of the season, the IU women’s field hockey team was still focused and hungry, IU Coach Amy Robertson said.

The team extended its winning streak to four games this weekend, defeating Missouri State 3-0 Friday and Robert Morris 4-1 Sunday.

IU’s defense had a three-game shutout streak before allowing Robert Morris to score in the 41st minute. During that streak, the Hoosiers allowed six shots on goal.

Junior goalkeeper Maggie Olson said the team’s defensive effort has increased her comfort level and taken some pressure off her.

“The less opportunities the opposition has, the more comfortable I feel,” Olson said. “I credit my defense for that. They’ve been playing well the last few games and they’ve made my job a lot easier.”

Olson also said the defense has focused on fundamentals to limit scoring opportunities.

“Our communication is really good,” she said. “We are staying low on circle opportunities and we really trust one another.”

Junior midfielder Audra Heilman scored the first goal of the Missouri State game off an unassisted goal in the 17th minute. Heilman’s goal would be the only one in the first half. 

Heilman’s offensive contributions didn’t end there. With 15 minutes left in the game, senior back Danielle McNally flicked a pass from Heilman into the cage to give the Hoosiers a 2-0 lead. 

Senior forward Mariella Grote capped off the Hoosiers’ third consecutive win with a goal off a rebound in front of the cage in the 65th minute.

On Sunday, Heilman scored her fifth goal of the season off of a rebound in the 26th minute, which puts her one goal away from tying her single season career high of six she set her freshman season. 

Just three minutes after Heilman’s goal, McNally netted her fourth goal of the season after getting a rebound from a corner attempt.

In the 34th minute, freshman forward Hannah McDermott assisted Grote on the Hoosier’s third goal of the day.

Robert Morris tallied its first goal of the game in the 41st minute when Jamie Hartley assisted Chloe McIlwaine on a penalty corner. It was the first goal allowed by the Hoosiers in two weeks.

After going back and forth for most of the second half, IU sophomore back Sydney Supica scored from a penalty corner in the 68th minute. Senior forward Emily Bowker and sophomore back Karen Lorite were both credited with an assist on the play.

Senior defender Hannah Boyer said she was impressed with how the team maintained their composure during the game.

“We had a lot of adversity thrown our way today,” Boyer said. “I think that we played with a lot of class.”

Although Robertson said she is excited about the current win streak, and she wants the team to continue to improve every week.

“We need to continue to challenge ourselves,” Robertson said. “We aren’t satisfied with just winning. We are really looking to play with a standard and the quality of play that is representative of a Big Ten and NCAA tournament team.”

Follow reporter Dan Matney on Twitter @Dan_Matney.