sports volleyball

IU Volleyball apart of Indiana Invitational this weekend

spVolleyball

The IU Volleyball team will open up the new season Friday evening when they take on Robert Morris at 7pm at University Gym in the second match of the annual Indiana Invitational. In the first match at 5pm, Kent State will take on future Big Ten member Rutgers.

“It’s always exciting to start playing other teams instead of just practicing,” IU Head Coach Sherry Dunbar said.

Coming off of a disappointing season, the Hoosiers will have to play well to take all three of their matches this weekend.

“We’ll get our first test against Robert Morris, who is a team that has gone to the NCAA tournament I think 14 years in a row, picked second in their conference, they’re going to give us our first challenge,” Dunbar said. “They know how to win.”

Robert Morris went 17-17 overall and 13-3 in the Northeast conference last year, and is led by juniors Hannah Hoffman and Becky Jay, setter and middle back respectively. They have no seniors on their roster.

“We are taking it one step at a time.  We can’t look past that first game [against

Robert Morris],” sophomore setter Katie Gallagher said.

Saturday at 11:30am IU will take on Rutgers, who Dunbar said is looking to make a statement.

“Rutgers is coming and is joining the Big Ten so you know they’re going to be ready to play us,” Dunbar said.

Rutgers went 18-12 overall and 4-11 in the Big East conference last year, and returns three starters.  They are led by junior setter Tracy Wright, and sophomore outside hitter Kelli Mullane.

n their final match of the weekend, Saturday at 7pm, IU plays Kent State.  Kent State is looking to bounce back after going 6-22 overall and 3-13 in the MAC conference last year.

“This has been a long summer for us and a long preseason, and it has been a good one,” Gallagher said.  “We have made lots of big changes and a lot of little changes, which have created a new identity for our team, and I think we are going to go with it and run.”

Kent State is led by junior outside hitter Tinuke Aderemi-Ibitola and senior defensive specialist Hannah Herc.  Aderemi-Ibitola led the team in kills, while Herc led the team in digs.

Being the beginning of a new year, this means this weekend will be the first time seven team members will be playing be IU.  They include true freshmen Allison Hammond, Taylor Lebo, Jazzmine McDonald, Megan Tallman, redshirt freshman Mariah Coleman, and transfers Danetta Boykin and Awele Nwaeze.

“I’m really really pumped [to play at IU],” Nwaeze said. “Last year I didn’t play at a school that had a ton of support for volleyball from the students.”

After a rigorous offseason, Nwaeze also said that she is ready to get the season started.

“[The offseason program] taught me a lot of discipline and drive. There was a lot of stuff that you would say oh no way I can’t come in three times and run, and still go to class, and make good grades, but that stuff is possible, and they tested us a lot this summer with work ethic and effort,” Nwaeze said.

Follow reporter Andrew Vailliencourt on Twitter @AndrewVCourt