Freshmen expected to contribute early on defense

Football

IU Coach Kevin Wilson played more freshmen than any other coach in the country in 2012 as 16 true freshmen and 16 redshirt freshmen saw action for the Hoosiers
last season.

Now, IU is on the heels of assembling one of its best recruiting classes in school history. Five four-star prospects headline a 23-player class.

“We probably have got the most gifted class showing up as day one freshmen when we show up next Friday,” Wilson said.

IU’s third-year coach said after watching the incoming freshmen in camp, they appear to be as gifted as some of the current Hoosiers.

The Hoosiers lost two defensive starters — defensive tackles Adam Replogle and Larry Black Jr. — from last year’s squad, which means there will be opportunities for freshmen to play on defense.

IU’s incoming freshmen class has six defensive linemen. Indianapolis-based four-star recruits David Kenney and Darius Latham are IU’s top-rated prospects.

On the 2013 depth chart, six freshmen are listed as one of the top two players at their positions.

Right guard Jacob Bailey, right tackle Dimitric Camiel, defensive tackle Ralphael Green, punter Nick Campos and holder Mitchell Paige are redshirt freshmen contending for a starting role.

Middle linebacker T.J. Simmons is the lone true freshman on the depth chart. He was one of the three players in IU’s 2013 signing class to enroll in spring classes and participate in spring practice.

“T.J. Simmons is the only one that’s been here, because he graduated early, that we saw lift, run, workout, practice,” Wilson said. “That’s going to be a two-deep impact player at linebacker.”

Wilson said the coaching staff didn’t guarantee recruits playing time but given the “pretty good” skill set among the freshmen, he thinks that the Hoosiers will have a lot of competition for playing time.

Senior wide receiver Kofi Hughes said Wilson is not afraid of playing freshmen.

“If a freshman deserves to play, he’s going to play him. He doesn’t look at them as freshmen, he looks at them like everybody’s equal,” Hughes said. “Those guys are performing great and I think that they’re going to do great.”

Wilson described the Hoosiers as a veteran, but a growing team.

“We do have guys that are battle tested,” he said. “We have guys that are getting more mature, but I do think we’re a young team growing.”

Hughes echoed his coach’s sentiment.

“The new recruits, that’s just the icing on the cake,” he said. “Having them at workouts and seeing them hit weight and seeing how strong and technically advanced these guys are for high school kids, it’s making that vibe skyrocket because everyone is looking around like ‘Ok, we got a squad.’”